teq
Resident

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 354
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 13, 2012 - 3:16 AM:
Subject: yes or no
If someones asks a yes or no question, I'm robo-blocked from answering with less than 25 words.

I understand the reason a site would do that. But a robo-bandaid can't be the best solution.
On Nov 13, 2012 - 1:04 PM, unenlightened responded: Then what can be the best?
On Nov 13, 2012 - 5:34 PM, teq responded: Moderation. (Of course, right?)
On Nov 14, 2012 - 8:56 AM, unenlightened responded: Can't get the staff - not at the rates we pay.
mayor of simpleton
InternalReplyCombustion

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 114
Total Posts: 4256
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 13, 2012 - 6:50 AM:

Perhaps this question needs to be asked...

Is this "blocking due to short posts" the result of the tendency in one's posting history to have written very short posts on average, as detected by some sort of "bot"; thus incuring this "wrath"?

I have never once received such a notice on any of my short answers. Then again, I have no twitter account, as there are far too few spaces to express what I wish to express.

Meow!

GREG

btw... I feel the internal replies are better for such short comments (unless the person receiving them is like "Duckrabbit" used to be).

EDIT:

teq... I'm not an Ad or a Mod, but if you look at your posting history, you have to admit you tend to be very short with your words and this is not exclusive to "yes and no" questions.

Edited by mayor of simpleton on Nov 13, 2012 - 7:02 AM. Reason: clarity and misunderstanding... in others words, typical MOS errors
teq
Resident

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 354
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 13, 2012 - 5:43 PM:

Mayor, does it seem I do fly-bys? Do you get that sense from my posts? A relatively simple issue, from start, can produce a novel-length response. So I boil my response down, see what arises, then deal with that, and so on.

Am I really so out of touch, such a misfit? Makes me sad.
mayor of simpleton
InternalReplyCombustion

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 114
Total Posts: 4256
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 7:20 AM:

teq wrote:
Mayor, does it seem I do fly-bys? Do you get that sense from my posts? A relatively simple issue, from start, can produce a novel-length response. So I boil my response down, see what arises, then deal with that, and so on.

Am I really so out of touch, such a misfit? Makes me sad.

Oh... don't be sad...

I just simply clicked your name and clicked to list all of your posts. I looked at the first 5 pages of those posts (usually there are 10 posts to a page). I noticed that more than half of them were 25 words or less.

Perhaps you have the ability to say more with fewer words than most. Problem is, most who use few words do indeed have little to say. Probably that is why the "bot" got on your case about it.

My tip is simple. Ramble on a bit for the sake of clarity or humour and the number of words in a post are increased; thus decreasing the amount of "wrath of the bots" you have to endure.

There's no need to be sad or to write a novel. Walls of words are just a annoying a too much brevity. There is no need to go from one extreme to another in this 0 to 100 manner I often experience here in Austria. They seem to always forget the 99 numbers between the two extremes.

Sorry... I ramble here, but hey... notice that my post is much longer via this tactic.

Meow!

GREG

Edited by mayor of simpleton on Nov 14, 2012 - 7:26 AM. Reason: Attractive Posting 101: note the use of smilies and the nice visual added for the sake of attractivness...
Abstraction

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 4
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 17, 2012 - 2:21 PM:

The 25 word requirement is an average over your last 50 posts, I believe. You need to be at least occasionally substantial. Philosophy is not a yes or no game.
andrewk
Inexhaustibly Curious

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 39
Total Posts: 2619

Last Blog: It is not necessary for me to have an opinion on that

#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 17, 2012 - 2:50 PM:

A yes or no answer to a question is uninteresting. What is interesting is the reasons why somebody feels drawn to the 'yes' or the 'no' side of the case.

Since one of the reasons some of us spend time here is in the hope of reading interesting posts from other people, and getting new ideas from them, blocking posts that are so short as to be unable to contain an idea seems sensible to me.

The forum has a survey function that can satisfy those that want to simply count numbers about how many people subscribe to which points of view. That seems more like sociology to me though.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Nov 14, 2012 - 8:56 AM, unenlightened replied internally to teq's If someones asks a y....
On Nov 13, 2012 - 5:34 PM, teq replied internally to teq's If someones asks a y....
On Nov 13, 2012 - 1:04 PM, unenlightened replied internally to teq's If someones asks a y....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.