Missing posts / members X
Philosophy Forums was hacked on September 6th. Due to the hacker, everything between July 24th and September 6th is permanently missing. Unfortunately, automated backups had to be turned off months ago because they were crashing the server. We're evaluating how to stop this from happening again. You may be able to find your own posts in a google cache to re-post them, if you want to.

Why was Rule utilitarianism developed?

Why was Rule utilitarianism developed?
Jean Claude

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 3, 2013 - 8:00 PM:
Subject: Why was Rule utilitarianism developed?
Hey guys, first post.

I'm studying philosophy at Uni and we're on the topic of utilitarianism and specifically act vs rule. A tutor posed a question about why was rule utilitarianism developed and I'm unsure on the exact reason why.

Was it to criticize Bentham's theory? Does anyone know?
shmik
Forum Veteran

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 32
Total Posts: 681
#2 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Jun 3, 2013 - 8:36 PM:

Welcome to the forums.
JC wrote:
I'm studying philosophy at Uni and we're on the topic of utilitarianism and specifically act vs rule. A tutor posed a question about why was rule utilitarianism developed and I'm unsure on the exact reason why.

In short: its because humans are not good at predicting consequences.

Rule utilitarianism is the view that if we create rules which can be used rather than analyzing each act individually it will actually lead to greater maximization of the good. This is because if an individual analyses each particular act, he will get things wrong too often. Both rule and act utilitarianism want the greatest maximization, the thing that differentiates them is their views on the best method to achieve it.
If humans could predict the outcome of an action perfectly than rule utilitarianism would not exist.
bert1
Secular Hindu

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 88
Total Posts: 1572
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 4, 2013 - 12:20 AM:

What shmik said. Act utilitarianism is 'dangerous in the hands of fools.' (Charlton)
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.