why do we make ourselves miserable?
noone

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 0
#41 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 19, 2005 - 1:39 AM:

deserthobo wrote:
we make ourselves miserable because we want to be miserable in some form or another

Kytro wrote:

It is not so much we want to make ourselves miserable as much as we think the action is in some way benefical.
When I'm unhappy, people pay attention to me, and express love..etc

Yeah, I agree with both of these, but I'll put in my two cents. Sometimes people also make themselves miserable, because that's how they feel it should be, that it's all they deserve. They don't deserve to be happy, so they make themselves miserable...
Soule
Student of life

Total Topics: 12
#42 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 21, 2005 - 11:45 AM:

so humans look to be miserable, just so they get a small amount of attention from the society around them? what a pathetic life!
Aloysha

Total Topics: 15
Total Posts: 1
#43 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 21, 2005 - 4:52 PM:

Why is it pathetic to want to get attention? I think much of what humans do is done to get attention. I think wanting to get attention is why so many people care about driving nice cars, wearing nice close, and taking a lot of time and effort to create a certain personal "style". And maybe for some people, those who are not overly attractive and do not have the means to get outward signs of success that many are attracted to, misery is a bit of a last resort, something done just to get SOME attention, good or bad. For some, perhaps misery is used in much the same was as children (and often adults) use highly emotional personalities, anger, and temper tantrums to get attention from the people who are otherwise too busy to care.
WhiteSpec

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 3
#44 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 21, 2005 - 9:51 PM:

Okay I got no problem with attention being a cause of miserable behaviour, but it definetely cannot be a natural trait of all humans. It isn't universal. Only a certain number of people share the desire for attention. There are many who care not at all what other's think, and fail to desire attention from people.
sensabile
Tenured Poser

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 127
Total Posts: 104
#45 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 22, 2005 - 1:44 AM:

WhiteSpec wrote:
Okay I got no problem with attention being a cause of miserable behaviour, but it definetely cannot be a natural trait of all humans. It isn't universal. Only a certain number of people share the desire for attention. There are many who care not at all what other's think, and fail to desire attention from people.

Examples?
WhiteSpec

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 3
#46 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 22, 2005 - 4:27 PM:

How would I give examples to you of people that desire no attention when you clearly couldn't possibly know them through media, or fame? All I can say is I know people who don't strive for attention. The depressed, the proud, the criminal, and some of the powerful.
Soule
Student of life

Total Topics: 12
#47 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 23, 2005 - 2:09 PM:

*waves his hand energetically*
i'm one of those who dont care what other people think of me. why do you think i announce my homosexuality so freely?
not to mention i know i'm happier than most people i talk to.
sigmaphi

Total Topics: 1
#48 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 23, 2005 - 10:37 PM:

well, i think some people make themselves mirserable subconsciously so they have an excuse not to achieve what they truly want.

i dont know if this is true for most people, but i do that sometimes, and i realize that's why i did it.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.