Why do people like to hear themselves talk?

Why do people like to hear themselves talk?
SMK
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 12
Total Posts: 0
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 9:47 PM:

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada, it never stops...

Why do some people like to hear themselves talk?

Now, if they had something of value to say or some important question to ponder then fine, by all means, keep talking. However, this is usually not the case, so what do they keep talking?
Romach
The Uncommon Factor

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 7
Total Posts: 1
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 16, 2004 - 9:56 PM:

That is your opinion. Perhaps what the speaker is saying is more important to the speaker than to the listener. If it is important to the speaker, then it is valuable to the speaker. So when someone is saying something that you may not think is valuable, if the speaker thinks it is important enough to say, then the speaker may think that what he/she has to say is valuable.
softtarget
Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 125
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 12:11 AM:

Is this intended to be ironic?

Perhaps you can carry a tape recorder around with you, and whenever someone rambles on, you can tape it, and play it back for them.

Then you can say "See how foolish you sound."
SMK
Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 12
Total Posts: 0
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 12:13 AM:

So let's say....blah, blah, my personality clashes with another person's personlity, and I feel that it is important to state, but the another person says no it is not important, and suggests that I do not state what I feel is important to state. Should I tell the 3rd person we clash. In this case, the 1st thinks the 3rd is benefited by the 1st persons opinion, but the 2nd person disagrees. Is anyone benefited by the 1st persons opinion?
Romach
The Uncommon Factor

#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 12:24 AM:

Go ahead and carry around a tape recorder. Maybe the problem is not with the speaker but with the listener. What is ironic? We all think we have something important to say and no one else has any reason to think that what the other has to say is important. So, the only ironic thing is Soft's sarcastic response to a thread asking about people having something valuable to say.
softtarget
Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 125
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 1:32 AM:

Not everything that is said is meant to have value. Sometimes our words are dismissive, or nervous reactions, or any number of reasons both inane and useful.

But more to the point, we as listeners are constantly infering value from another persons statements. Sometimes it is an honest attempt at understanding, other times it is an attempt to simply judge the speaker (depending on circumstances of course). But the question of the thread asks whether or not people chatter on inanely with no reasonable point to make, but they persist anyway. The answer is yes, yes they do. I know many.

Of course there is something they are trying to accomplish through their continuous babbling, such as getting attention, and they could go on forever from one thing to the next delighted that someone is listening to them. At some point, you've just got to say that's nice, and move on.
Romach
The Uncommon Factor

#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 17, 2004 - 2:12 AM:

Some people do not know how to express themselves in words as well as they would like. The listener, therefore, may not be getting the point, may not be trying to get the point, or may be frustrated from trying to get the point but cannot. I think you sell the speaker short, like the parent who shrugs off his own child who's trying to say something, but is made to feel insignificant.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.