Sapientia
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 161
Total Posts: 11878
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 10:36 AM:

What is knowledge?
What is belief, truth and justification?
How is knowledge acquired?
What is moral/immoral/amoral?
What ought I/one/we do?
ciceronianus
Gentleman Loser

Total Topics: 96
Total Posts: 5902

Last Blog: William Gibson and the Creation of Worlds

#12 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 11:14 AM:

There are no questions peculiar to philosophy; in other words, there are no purely philosophical questions. The questions traditionally ascribed to philosophy, to the extent that they are questions which admit of the possibility of answers which would make a difference to how we live (e.g., what should I do in these circumstances?) , are questions which occur to us in the course of living regardless of whether we are philosophers or are "doing philosophy." They may be the subject matter of philosophy and some other discipline.

To the extent the questions traditionally ascribed to philosophy don't make any difference to how we live (e.g., how do I know there is an "external world"?), they are not "questions" in any real sense, as they are not problems to be solved because they make no difference to how we live. Philosophy should be employed to help us to answer questions, resolve problems, which make a difference in how we live.

Or so I think.

mayor of simpleton
Chairman of the BORED!

Total Topics: 120
Total Posts: 6356
#13 - Quote - Permalink
4 of 4 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 11:22 AM:

What concepts do we "press upon" the universe that might well indeed be simply anthropomorphic delusions?

Possible candidates:

Agendas, intentions, purposes, perceptions of time/space, creation, destruction, non-paraxodical "ultimates and absolutes", metaphysics, ethics, law...

This is just the short list.

Meow!

GREG

Edited by mayor of simpleton on Feb 10, 2012 - 12:23 PM. Reason: jello jello jello hell no!
Know-Nothing
Resident

Total Topics: 21
Total Posts: 321
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 11:30 AM:

Why is there something rather than nothing?

How should I live?

How do we confront cognitive biases in ourselves and others that all too often block the way of inquiry?

Public education in America - WTF?

And perhaps the most important philosophical question of all:

'why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?'

Edited by To Mega Therion on Feb 11, 2012 - 8:29 AM. Reason: punctuation
ASD

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 62
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 11:44 AM:

To what extent am I responsible for the well-being of others?
Veritas Vincit
Philosophical Dilettante

Total Topics: 120
Total Posts: 5774
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 12:47 PM:

Know-Nothing wrote:
And perhaps the most important philosophical question of all:
'why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?'
And in a similar vein, why doesn't God eliminate Satan?
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Total Topics: 185
Total Posts: 9270
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 2:39 PM:

Per ciceronianus, a lot of what get's chewed over in philosophy is neither here nor there.

Can we help young people live lives which sufficiently fulfill their core aspirations so that they will not later wish they could live their lives over, but only slightly or much differently?

Or is everyone doomed to not discover what they really should have done until Act V, Scene 4?

Edited by To Mega Therion on Feb 11, 2012 - 8:34 AM. Reason: changed formatting to WSN, made the font size consistent, removed all caps
Luabu
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 358
#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 2:43 PM:
Subject: Easy One
Has mankind any chance of a meaningful future? I doubt it.
Luabu wink
On Feb 10, 2012 - 9:18 PM, Sapientia responded: Easy answer: yes.
atticusII
Forum Veteran

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 13
Total Posts: 755
#19 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 3:18 PM:

I'm with AP, what ultimate reality is composed of. Essential, as particle physicists keep digging.
Self-perception, though I think this is tied in with what we might say about ultimate reality. Studying the nature of perception and how people acquire meaning. This can be done through forms of science but their interest is interpreting and testing results not analysing their methods or interpretations or re-translating the data to evidence different propositions.

I think there's a function to serve, being instrumental to the way theories and data are integrated. Also, scientific fields aren't making big distinctions, it's down to quirks and philosophy can help in interpretation, whether (and how) to (reasonably)factor data-quirks in or out of models and hypothesis.
ciceronianus
Gentleman Loser

Total Topics: 96
Total Posts: 5902

Last Blog: William Gibson and the Creation of Worlds

#20 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 10, 2012 - 3:26 PM:

BitterCrank wrote:
Can we help young people live lives which sufficiently fulfill their core aspirations so that they will not later wish they could live their lives over, but only slightly or much differently?

Philosophy may even be able to help older people, like me, too.
Download thread as
  • 70/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Feb 19, 2012 - 1:21 PM, unenlightened replied internally to xmikexpx's Woah everybody, watc....
On Feb 18, 2012 - 9:42 PM, Gryphon replied internally to unenlightened's Anyone remember ....
On Feb 18, 2012 - 9:41 PM, Gryphon replied internally to notsocrates's Sounds a bit l....
On Feb 17, 2012 - 8:08 PM, Sapientia replied internally to xmikexpx's I am a Nihilist. Be....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 8:58 PM, angslan replied internally to angslan's Thermal energy i....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 8:55 PM, Gryphon replied internally to angslan's Thermal energy i....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 5:31 PM, Gryphon replied internally to Mr. Natural's And how is that di....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 11:35 AM, Gryphon replied internally to Sapientia's You're yet a....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 10:49 AM, StreetlightX replied internally to ciceronianus's Epictetus: "If ....
On Feb 14, 2012 - 10:31 PM, Gryphon replied internally to Thatwhichis's If you mean that t....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.