What's for dinner?
Important issues.

What's for dinner?
Gryphon
Your New Brother In Law

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Nov 22, 2011

Total Topics: 18
Total Posts: 439
#91 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 14, 2012 - 10:51 PM:

Sapientia, that was not the arguement. The arguement is: If something is now, and is neither created or destroyed, then it is eternal. This is energy. Therefore, energy is eternal. If what I take myself to be is assumed to be energy, then this energy is eternal, because all energy is eternal. This very energy that I call me right now is conscious, this energy I call mind/body was made conscious without any difficulties, so a denial of the possibility of new forms is really just pessimistic or lazy thinking, and is in direct opposition with the evidence.
Mr. Natural
Old Mystic Madcap
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 09, 2012
Location: Florida: America's Biggest Ponzi Scheme

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 232
#92 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 7:31 AM:

Gryphon wrote:
...energy is eternal.

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics the universe is moving toward eventual Heat Death.

No heat, no life, no energy...time comes to an end.
Sapientia
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Jan 11, 2010

Total Topics: 161
Total Posts: 8140
#93 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 7:38 AM:

Gryphon wrote:
That depends on what you mean by "I". Conscious energy is my best observation.


Gryphon wrote:
The arguement is: If something is now, and is neither created or destroyed, then it is eternal. This is energy. Therefore, energy is eternal.


If you want to validly argue that I am eternal, then you need to conclude that conscious energy is eternal. Like I said:

Sapientia wrote:
Even if energy is eternal, it doesn't follow that I am eternal.
Gryphon
Your New Brother In Law

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Nov 22, 2011

Total Topics: 18
Total Posts: 439
#94 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 8:41 AM:

---According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics the universe is moving toward eventual Heat Death.

No heat, no life, no energy...time comes to an end.

That would seem to be in direct conflict with the first law, that energy is neither created or destroyed, when you say no energy.

---If you want to validly argue that I am eternal, then you need to conclude that conscious energy is eternal. Like I said

Not quite, the "I" when you are awake might not be you, or your essence. For in deep sleep, this I is completely wiped out. You might be unconscious potential, which manifests in the awake state as consciousness of energy, you cannot know for sure whether this "I" is conscious energy or not, that is only my best guess. Before we can inquire into whether you are eternal, we must inquire what you are, which may or may not be possible.

If you take yourself to be the body, then what you take yourself to be will die. If you take yourself to be consciousness, your consciousness will leave you in deep sleep. If you take yourself to be unconscious being, untouchable and beyond consciousness itself, you may be invincible.
Sapientia
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Jan 11, 2010

Total Topics: 161
Total Posts: 8140
#95 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 9:01 AM:

If I am conscious energy, and you want to validly argue that I am eternal, then you need to conclude that conscious energy is eternal.
Gryphon
Your New Brother In Law

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Nov 22, 2011

Total Topics: 18
Total Posts: 439
#96 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 9:14 AM:

---If I am conscious energy, and you want to validly argue that I am eternal, then you need to conclude that conscious energy is eternal.

You are not, at least not wholly. There are states when you are completely unconscious. Energy is eternal was/is the arguement. What are you that we could inquire into your life-span?
Sapientia
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Jan 11, 2010

Total Topics: 161
Total Posts: 8140
#97 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 9:27 AM:

Gryphon wrote:
You are not [conscious energy], at least not wholly.


Which one is it? Am I conscious energy? Yes or no?
Gryphon
Your New Brother In Law

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Nov 22, 2011

Total Topics: 18
Total Posts: 439
#98 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 10:01 AM:

---Which one is it? Am I conscious energy? Yes or no?

Now there's a worthy question. I would say no essentially, you are not. Consciousness can leave you, you cannot leave yourself.
ciceronianus
Gadfly
Avatar

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: An old chaos of the Sun

Total Topics: 95
Total Posts: 5852

Last Blog: Goldengrove Unleaving

#99 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 10:04 AM:

StreetlightX wrote:
Philosophy simply has nothing to do with that.


That's a shame, I think, but if that's so it is so. Unlike Zizek (and yourself, apparently) I'm not interested in "redefining" problems, whatever that is supposed to mean. I would prefer that we resolve them, assuming they are, in fact, real problems, in other words if they are not "problems" which involve differences which make no difference, as "Wild Bill" James would say..

A little dose of stoicism, you know, might help you avoid getting quite so excited about these things.
StreetlightX
An Arrow, Drawn
Avatar

Usergroup: Moderators
Joined: Jun 13, 2010
Location: In medias res

Total Topics: 48
Total Posts: 3033
#100 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2012 - 10:18 AM:

But of course you've been reduced to churning out your recycled turns of phrase without actually having the intellectual honesty to engage with anything I've written. It's symptomatic of your will to ignorance I guess - so in truth it seems to me that stoicism needs itself a better acolyte than the fraud who claims it as his own here. I suppose though in the absence of anything intelligent to say, one relies upon the comfort of old crutches, however irrelevant they maybe.

Edited by StreetlightX on Feb 15, 2012 - 10:44 AM
locked
Download thread as
  • 70/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5


Recent Internal Replies
On Feb 19, 2012 - 1:21 PM, unenlightened replied internally to xmikexpx's Woah everybody, watc....
On Feb 18, 2012 - 9:42 PM, Gryphon replied internally to unenlightened's Anyone remember ....
On Feb 18, 2012 - 9:41 PM, Gryphon replied internally to notsocrates's Sounds a bit l....
On Feb 17, 2012 - 8:08 PM, Sapientia replied internally to xmikexpx's I am a Nihilist. Be....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 8:58 PM, angslan replied internally to angslan's Thermal energy i....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 8:55 PM, Gryphon replied internally to angslan's Thermal energy i....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 5:31 PM, Gryphon replied internally to Mr. Natural's And how is that di....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 11:35 AM, Gryphon replied internally to Sapientia's You're yet a....
On Feb 15, 2012 - 10:49 AM, StreetlightX replied internally to ciceronianus's Epictetus: "If ....
On Feb 14, 2012 - 10:31 PM, Gryphon replied internally to Thatwhichis's If you mean that t....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.