What was God’s motivation to create the Universe?

What was God’s motivation to create the Universe?
Warshed
Resident

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 12
Total Posts: 300
#21 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 4:29 PM:

I think God created the universe because his God told him to.
Mr. Gorbag
Beyond good and evil

Total Topics: 16
Total Posts: 1916
#22 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 4:49 PM:

Warshed wrote:
I think God created the universe because his God told him to.

Aha, he was only a daylabourer for his Supervisor, an even more unknown God, he worked 6 hard days and have rested ever since...But what was the motive of his boss then?
bigboss

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 14
#23 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 4:57 PM:

What would the point of creation be when, being all knowing, you have already calculated every possible outcome? Entertainment would be a poor reason because god could always bestow upon himself a feeling of satisfaction, amusement, whatever emotion he wanted before he created something for the purpose of entertainment.

An omniscient and omnipotent being who actually creates something has a lot in common with somebody who looks in a mirror and masturbates to its own reflection.

Mr. Gorbag
Beyond good and evil

Total Topics: 16
Total Posts: 1916
#24 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 5:22 PM:

sheps wrote:
Not Leibniz, that's for sure!
Leibniz sure was his times official spokesman of God...
sheps wrote:
I don't know, I just always assumed it was so! I guess the idea that a created "form" (like love, or beauty, or justice) could boss around its own creator just seemed absurd to a Medieval theologian, and we've all just kind of accepted it. Of course, some bits of postmodernism (I've heard it from Zizek, anyway) could lend some credence to the idea that the created subverts the creator, but it appears to be a little far-fetched, and rather contrary to the old vaguely Parmenidian principle that something greater cannot come from something lesser (I'm not sure if this is Parmenidian, or a later Leibniz idea, now I look on it. Still, I think this is the line of thought Medieval theologians would have applied in their 12th Century battle against Averroes and Islamic theology, which did place certain "self-created constraints" on God).

OK, but don't let us forget the more "unofficial" theologians like Eckhardt, Spinoza, Boehme, Shelling and Hegel. I think those also might have something to say on these issues...
Wosret
Assassin

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 73
Total Posts: 11075
#25 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 5:45 PM:

If god is perfect, then only whim can suffice. God cannot be lacking anything if perfect, its existence is perfect. It does not desire, it does not need, because it does not lack.

If god is lonely, then I get to grow a test tube pal too, and god can't say a damn thing!

If it was out of love, then the universe wouldn't be so full of cruelty, and if the universe is full of cruelty because we're a bunch of stupid assholes, then god sucks at it.

Or perhaps the cosmos is just god dream, and isn't really there in the first place.
thewatcher
PF Addict

Total Topics: 63
Total Posts: 1959
#26 - Quote - Permalink
0 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 8:51 PM:

ciceronianus wrote:

Because then we would stop trying to answer it.

What would be good about that?

Similarly, what justifies your apparant solution of selecting an "answer" at random merely for the sake of halting discussion?
Philonus
Initiate

Total Topics: 66
Total Posts: 21
#27 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 8, 2010 - 9:29 PM:

Mr. Gorbag wrote:

Even an imperfect universe is better than Nothingness to most peoples. At least if they don’t belong to the school of Buddha or Schopenhauer, and God could certainly argue that he did as best he could, and that everything is made out of eternal love: "Take it or leave it, You ungracious humans, the craft of creating a Universe is very complicated indeed, and I did my best" - God could have said..."You all lives in the best of all possible worlds, I certainly know because I am God"… Who could argue against that?

I don't think an imperfect universe is better than nothingness because such an imperfect universe would demonstrate a very flawed Deity who failed to fulfill his highest motive (benevolence).If omnipotence is defined as actualizing any possible state of affairs, and if benevolence is defined as liking to bring specific state of affairs that is both just and good, but God only created state of affairs that is not just and good, then God fails to fulfill his motive. An imperfect universe just shows a failing God, perhaps nothingness is better than risking humiliation. I just don't think that a God who has the highest motive (benevolence) to bring about a perfect state of affairs (good and just) but fails at accomplishing His aspirations, could exist.
xxicrimsonixx
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 10
#28 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 15, 2010 - 2:26 PM:

I think god created the universe so that he could live within it. If we are all to be in the exact image of god, God would have to look and talk like all of us. Because speech is sound, and sound is just frequency, everyone is running on a different frequency. While we all are created the same (through XX or XY), and supposedly originated from a single man and single woman (Adam and Eve), we certainly don't look like our parents. Everyone is in essence running on a different frequency from each other. Because we are all in essence a different frequency, and our universe encompasses all frequencies, our universe is in essence running on a single frequency, which encompaases all the other frequencies. The universe we are in is running off frequency 0, for 0 is in the middle of -1 and 1. Thus our universe could possibly have it's own frequency in another universe, and because all universes are the same, the universe would be inside of itself.

Births are random because your soul, chooses when to come to Earth, that could possibly explain why women are from Venus, and men are from Mars.

Thus I think we all exist in this universe because we choose to exist, and we all imagine the world that we are in, we all created everything, and as such, we are all supreme beings living in the world that we create.
Sarlowit

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 5
#29 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 4, 2011 - 6:05 AM:

xxicrimsonixx wrote:

Thus I think we all exist in this universe because we choose to exist, and we all imagine the world that we are in, we all created everything, and as such, we are all supreme beings living in the world that we create.

Then in comparison, we being God, the ability to choose is human. So why did God choose to create our condition of choice?

Why did God choose, to choose?
AmonThor

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 1
#30 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 20, 2011 - 2:28 AM:

I recall reading a book back in high school called Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. It was quite an interesting read. The connection between the book and this conversation is that the main character is told that God created the universe because he did not know how he was created. The book theorized that God may be all-knowing, but does not know how he himself came into existence. Therefore, the Earth is an experiment. He created the big bang and life formed all so he can see how he came into being.
Download thread as
  • 45/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.