What does a scar symbolize?
Winds of Change

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 7
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 11, 2008 - 8:58 PM:
Subject: What does a scar symbolize?
I have been considering the effects of physical scarring on people (cuts and burns etc.). Is a scar a symbol of physical or emotional pain that's been overcome? Or is a scar something to be ashamed, something that signifies weakness and recalls regrets?

Are battle scars of soldiers different from the self inflicted scars of cutting? Some think the first shows the strength of the man or woman who continued living despite painful experiences and memories. I believe scars are something that only the true loser of a fight is left with; they are a constant reminder of that person's faults and the fewer scars one has the more self confidence they aught to have and the better impression they'll make on others. Self-inflicted scars, similarly, are avoidable if the person is strong enough. While some marks are unavoidable, most depend on an individual's physical, emotional, or mental strength and savvy so, in my opinion, scars are something that aught to remind us of our pasts while they remain hidden and looked down upon.

What do you think? What do scars mean to you?
yiming
Resident

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 316
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 11, 2008 - 10:37 PM:

Winds of Change wrote:

What do you think? What do scars mean to you?

My physical scars are marks of mishaps. I have burns on my arms from messing around in the kitchen. I like to cook. grin
vykk_draygo
Resident

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 194
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 13, 2008 - 12:24 AM:

Scars remind me of stupid things I've done and the mistakes I've made. They also remind me how fragile and weak the human body can be, and what the environment can do to it. Some of them mark my passages through certain stages of life. Others still can constantly teach me lessons.

Except, I think I voted for the wrong categories. For the most part, I think scars really only have as much meaning as one assigns to them.
hyena in petticoat
Cheeky Possum

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 58
Total Posts: 2222

Last Blog: 9 years

#4 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Oct 13, 2008 - 3:22 AM:

yiming wrote:
I have burns on my arms from messing around in the kitchen. I like to cook. grin

Me too. nod

Anyway, I think scars signifies the experience that caused it and the emotions that came with the experience. Scars probably say a thing or two about the person who bears them, say for me and yiming who like to cook, we have scars and burns from doing stuff in the kitchen. Scars could also reflect a certain person's clumsiness, how prone to scar-causing activities a person is, and a lot of other things.

I also wonder why you seem to be hinting towards scars reflecting negative stuff about the person who bears them. Why is it a bad thing? Likewise, lack of scars isn't always a positive thing (except for aesthetic purposes).

Personally, scars just means scars. They remind me of how sensitive my skin is to skin irritation and damage. Plus it also makes me realize I cannot wear shorts and skirts with pride anymore. grin

Caldwell
Humanite

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 1103
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 13, 2008 - 4:45 AM:

Very well put by hyena.

Yes, scars should be accepted as pride, part of living the life. Just some random thoughts: Scars from shark attacks are particularly "sought after" mark, though not that it was intended, because surviving shark attacks is a courageous ordeal. People proudly show their shark scars. Scars from fighting in a war is another -- they should be seen as something of significance and symbolic.

And yeah, anyone who truly cooks will have at least two burns -- *for some odd reason, burns from splattering hot oil always come at a minimum of two splatters. grin* Incidentally, I just burned my finger for putting something in the toaster oven while making dinner.

Insanemoon
The Poet

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 43
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2008 - 3:00 AM:

They are a link to a past that should never be forgotten.
They symbolize strength and a person's ability to move on, to survive. Both.
Aerun
Initiate

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 30
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2008 - 12:42 PM:

Scars are nothing more then a physical wound being repaired by your body's automatic functions. Any value or importance you place on them is your own judgment, whether it be for better or worse.

Many scars on your body are either to small or in places you do not notice. Do they have some intrinsic value? No.
Some scars are much more obvious, such as a burn. They may disfigure your body and cause you to have a lower quality of life (whether physical or emotional). Does the scare it's self have any intrinsic value? no, your perceptions and implied value is all that is happening here.

If you choose to use your scar as a symbol of strength or of weakness... well that is up to you.
Vhaidren
Oliver Stone

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 31
#8 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Oct 14, 2008 - 2:57 PM:

Aerun wrote:
Scars are nothing more then a physical wound being repaired by your body's automatic functions. Any value or importance you place on them is your own judgment, whether it be for better or worse.

Many scars on your body are either to small or in places you do not notice. Do they have some intrinsic value? No.
Some scars are much more obvious, such as a burn. They may disfigure your body and cause you to have a lower quality of life (whether physical or emotional). Does the scare it's self have any intrinsic value? no, your perceptions and implied value is all that is happening here.

If you choose to use your scar as a symbol of strength or of weakness... well that is up to you.

Exactly, it is simply a mark on your body, a patch of repaired skin.

A scar, or any other object for that matter, can hold whatever emotional value you decide to place upon it.
Cadrache
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 111
Total Posts: 5009
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 14, 2008 - 5:39 PM:

*Shrugs* I like the 'I'm dumb' response. =D On a side note it's great to thank somebody for helping out after you mutter to yourself "I'm dumb" in their presense :P

There are other physical scars though. Some could be religious. Like circumcision; though admittedly the non-christian type religions are more interesting. (mostly differences in domination of society vs. religion as well as how sadism may have played a role in sociatal development)

My take on the scar is to take it more as a history lesson. The individual has this, or that. What he is now; is of more relevence. Does he cry? Does innocence still exist? Joy? Hatred? Envy?
Michael T
Resident

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 126
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 21, 2008 - 9:35 AM:

Winds of Change wrote:
I have been considering the effects of physical scarring on people (cuts and burns etc.). Is a scar a symbol of physical or emotional pain that's been overcome? Or is a scar something to be ashamed, something that signifies weakness and recalls regrets?

I agree. Scars from cooking, from rock climbing exploits and those from my days in engineering can have positive connotations for me and even be worn with pride. However, It’s easy to forget how debilitating scars can be for some people. Automobile accidents can disfigure horribly and be no fault of the individual who has to carry those scars, especially if they are facial scars. Imagine how difficult it must be to cope with emotional trauma when, every time you are in a public place people stare at you, or avoid looking you in the eyes because of your disfigurement. What about those women who have undergone mastectomies due to cancer? It must take immense courage to come to terms with and carry those kinds of scars.

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.