There is no difference between life and death

There is no difference between life and death
assumis
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jul 26, 2009

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 10
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 12:48 AM:
Subject: There is no difference between life and death
If we assume that:
-In biological death, our conscience ceases to continue.
-Our conscience is what enables us to process any kind of thought.
-There is no objective reality.

Then:
There is no difference between life and death because for us to be able to determine that there is a difference in between two states or entities we must have experienced (within the limitations posed by our senses) both states or entities. Under the assumption that there is no objective reality, a difference only exists if we are able to determine that a difference exists.

-
In other words there is no difference between life and death because we cannot compare and contrast both states, we cannot perceive how they differ.
Ferro
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 05, 2009

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 2
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 2:57 AM:

Hey, newb here; first post.

So wouldn't your point of view be saying the same as, the grass can't be greener on the other side 'cause nobody ever came back to tell us so, or even the other side of the hill must not even exist 'cause no one's ever seen it. How 'bout the world's flat because nobody had travelled around it yet? Am I off?


PS. Is there a newb thread/forum that I am supposed to introduce myself in?

Edited by unenlightened on Sep 5, 2009 - 10:08 AM. Reason: Capitals, punctuation.
mutemaler
Resident
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 17, 2006

Total Topics: 13
Total Posts: 310
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 6:27 AM:

assumis wrote:
If we assume that:
-In biological death, our conscience ceases to continue.
-Our conscience is what enables us to process any kind of thought.
-There is no objective reality.

Then:
There is no difference between life and death because for us to be able to determine that there is a difference in between two states or entities we must have experienced (within the limitations posed by our senses) both states or entities. Under the assumption that there is no objective reality, a difference only exists if we are able to determine that a difference exists.

-
In other words there is no difference between life and death because we cannot compare and contrast both states, we cannot perceive how they differ.

Its kind of hard to know what to say to someone that doesn't think I "exist" (ok, granted, you probably don't mean that, but...).

Sigh. I would do a-way with our distinction "objective/subjective" entirely (or limit its use to where it is applicable). There are other ways. For example, to me (in my seeing) the word world is the only one I need in matters "existence", everything else is carving it up. So "existence" of so-called "objects" is by virtue of being part of the whole (which "exists"), and the word "is" itself becomes redundant (its a strange word anyway, the language really doesn't require it).

Life and death are two words, and we are taught to use them correctly.

Edited by mutemaler on Sep 5, 2009 - 7:12 AM
unenlightened
How many cows? 0, 1, 2?
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Aug 10, 2007
Location: Wales

Total Topics: 89
Total Posts: 10267
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 10:14 AM:

assumis wrote:
If we assume that:

-There is no objective reality.


Then we are not really saying anything.

Ferro wrote:
PS. Is there a newb thread/forum that I am supposed to introduce myself in?


You can introduce yourself in a community/off topic thread if you wish, but there is no obligation.
linear_occurance
Resident
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 10, 2009
Location: Palmer, AK, USA

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 135
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 2:50 PM:

"difference only exists if we are able to determine that a difference exists"

really? This seems to presume that the source for our reality is in the human mind, and in retort, I would never have thought of that argument above grin
Banno
Tiff's bit of wruff.
Avatar

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Location: Dow nunder

Total Topics: 460
Total Posts: 9731
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 3:04 PM:

assumis wrote:
There is no objective reality.

Bullshit yields Bullshit.
evadra
Growing
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Nov 26, 2008

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 32
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 4:03 PM:

I have never experienced what it is like to be a girl but I can garantee you there is a difference between being a boy and a girl.

And what if we DON'T assume your 3 points?
180 Proof
entropist
Avatar

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Apr 27, 2003
Location: [virgo supercluster [local group [milky way [sol III [northern hemisphere [-7/8hrs gmt]]]]]]

Total Topics: 152
Total Posts: 2497
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 4:16 PM:

Banno wrote:
assumis wrote:
There is no objective reality.

Bullshit yields Bullshit.

And flies. Lots of flies. Big, fat, happy gadflies. grin
assumis
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jul 26, 2009

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 10
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 6:05 PM:

evadra wrote:
I have never experienced what it is like to be a girl but I can garantee you there is a difference between being a boy and a girl.

And what if we DON'T assume your 3 points?


We can characterise the differences though, with death we cannot because we have never come into contact with it, you cannot see death, hear death, smell death, taste death etc etc

If you don't assume my three points then the following argument becomes invalid, that's why i laid out those three assumptions to begin with.

I am by no means claiming any of this to be 'the truth' , as such, i'm just speculating and trying to view the concepts of life and death from another perspective.
assumis
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jul 26, 2009

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 10
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 5, 2009 - 6:11 PM:


unenlightened wrote:


Then we are not really saying anything.



You can introduce yourself in a community/off topic thread if you wish, but there is no obligation.


I think it is impossible to prove that there is an objective reality. Even if an objective reality does exist, it is irrelevant because our perspective is subjective.
locked
Download thread as
  • 20/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.