Missing posts / members X
Philosophy Forums was hacked on September 6th. Due to the hacker, everything between July 24th and September 6th is permanently missing. Unfortunately, automated backups had to be turned off months ago because they were crashing the server. We're evaluating how to stop this from happening again. You may be able to find your own posts in a google cache to re-post them, if you want to.

The USA...

The USA...
Banno
Tiff's bit of wruff.

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 462
Total Posts: 9774
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 1:21 PM:
Subject: The USA...
…not the greatest nation on Earth….

9 Economic Facts That Will Make Your Head Spin

Folks, this leaves me nonplussed. How can it be like this?

A German program was aired earlier in the week showing middle-class families living out of cars in the mid-west. YEt the top 1% own a quarter of the nation. Fer fuck's sake.
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Total Topics: 182
Total Posts: 7515
#2 - Quote - Permalink
7 of 7 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 2:01 PM:

The Wall family (Walmart) has more wealth than the poorest 100 million Americans.

"How can this be?" you ask.

To begin with, wealth was never distributed evenly. Some pilgrims were better off than others. In what nation is it evenly spread around?

Americans (except those who are deviant, perverted, communists) have always believed that anybody can get rich. If you were smart and worked hard, you could become wealthy. Americans have, therefore, been favorably disposed to tax law which favors getting -- and being -- rich. Every now and then, owing to unfortunate alignments of the stars, commie pinko fags manage to get laws passed which allow the government to tax, steal, confiscate, seize, rob (pick your preferred word) the rich of some of their wealth. This makes a big difference. During periods of time in which such tyranny reigned, there was considerably more equity in wealth distribution across the population. There were rich people, but not quite as many and they weren't quite as rich.

Americans have always had a thing about tyranny, so under various freedom fighters, repressive, confiscatory tax law was repealed, and all those cocksucking communists were taken to the woodshed. Finally wealth could flow freely like crap through a steeply inclined sewer.

Everyone (except those filthy cocksucking communists) knows that workers are an unnecessary burden, so by taking production off-shore to places where workers know their place (at the bottom), by cutting wages and benefits in the US, by replacing workers with machines (everyone from clerical workers to brain surgeons), even more money was drained into the coffers of the 1% (about 3,000,000 people).

I could go on, but as one of those filthy, deviant, cocksucking commie pinko fags, it is time for my daily 4:00 beating.
On Feb 22, 2013 - 2:22 PM, Banno responded: Enjoy.
Banno
Tiff's bit of wruff.

#3 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 2:21 PM:

The aspirational dream; if I work hard I will make a fortune and join that one percent. Nothing more than a myth for keeping the bungled and botched in their place.

On Feb 22, 2013 - 10:17 PM, creative responded: Not so much as for keeping most believing that everyone has a chance.

Employment laws honor contracts including the expressed forfeiture of an employee's intellectual property to the company. Nearly all employment agreements include this. Sad.
NeubergCrowley
PF Addict

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 49
Total Posts: 1168
#4 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 2:29 PM:

Banno wrote:
The aspirational dream; if I work hard I will make a fortune and join that one percent. Nothing more than a myth for keeping the bungled and botched in their place.

"Aspirational dreams are better opiates of the masses than religion."
On Feb 24, 2013 - 4:07 AM, SittinWSocratesTiff responded: Neuberg, whose words are those?
On Feb 27, 2013 - 7:43 AM, NeubergCrowley responded: Well, primarily Marx...I just re-worded it to fit this thread.
On Mar 2, 2013 - 5:32 AM, SittinWSocratesTiff responded: I like it a lot Neuberg. I think it is a great talant to be able to repackage words from history, in a way that the folk of today can understand. In other words, you bring it down to an understandable level by relating. Thank you~
BitterCrank
PF Addict

#5 - Quote - Permalink
4 of 4 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 2:33 PM:

I have long thought that 30 year mortgages were good for reducing the likelihood of revolution. "Hey, I own a piece of the rock!" Once one has assumed the mortgage (costing much more than the selling price for the house, certainly many years of income) one had best behave. If you act up at work, you will be shut down, kicked out, and then... that damned mortgage payment. Miss it too many times and the bank will take it all back, what you paid, and what you didn't pay. Credit cards, the car payment, student loans -- all sorts of debt -- keeps people in line.

"Work, you son of a bitch, or we'll take all the goodies back and you can jolly well live under a bridge!"
Banno
Tiff's bit of wruff.

#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 3:17 PM:

Yeah, Bitter, my friend; but this has been forgotten. If half of you can't afford to buy new toys, the myth fails. Keep the carrot too far out in front, and the donkey will stop to eat the grass at the side of the road.
On Feb 24, 2013 - 4:10 AM, SittinWSocratesTiff responded: This reply has been posted on the Philosophy Forums Facebook page. Congratulations and thank you for your contribution Banno darling. wink
On Mar 1, 2013 - 1:55 PM, Banno responded: Sweet.
BitterCrank
PF Addict

#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 4:17 PM:

Banno wrote:
Yeah, Bitter, my friend; but this has been forgotten. If half of you can't afford to buy new toys, the myth fails. Keep the carrot too far out in front, and the donkey will stop to eat the grass at the side of the road.

Have no fear: the grass beside the road will not be eaten.

They don't call it "carrot management" but there are whole departments on university campuses working on the ideal distance of a given sized carrot-to-a given-sized-Jackass's mouth; other departments are devoted to stick deployment. How big a carrot, how big a stick, how fat an ass, all carefully calibrated.

So it is that the trolls who live under bridges can aspire to a big mac, fries, and Coca Cola every other month. The comfortable "middle class" aspires to Disneyland at a time when fat lumpy proles will not be contaminating the very rides they would have enjoyed, had the ugly slobs not just disembarked. The folks who live on the very top of the hill aspire to go skiing somewhere that the merely wealthy haven't heard of yet, and therefore have not ruined what with their class-corroding trashy, striving selves.
On Feb 22, 2013 - 7:43 PM, Banno responded: Indeed; however I begin to suspect that maybe they might have possibly got it a little bit… wrong.
Kelvin
Mongrel

Total Topics: 112
Total Posts: 2490
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 6:05 PM:

Banno wrote:

The unconsidered variable... the fly in the logic ointment.
On Mar 2, 2013 - 5:25 AM, SittinWSocratesTiff responded:

The proverbial monkey wrench thrown into the mix.

ying
Daoist sceptic

Usergroup: Missing Mods

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 785
#9 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 7:30 PM:

Because trickle down economics doesn't work.

"What is it that brings the capitalist to the market? It is the urge to get rich, to increase his capital, to gratify his ambitions and social vanities, to be able to indulge in all conceivable pleasures. And what brings the worker to the market? Hunger, the necessity of eating today and tomorrow. Thus, while being equal from the point of juridical fiction, the capitalist and the worker are anything but equal from the point of view of the economic situation, which is the real situation."

-Mikhail Bakunin, "The Capitalist System".

www.marxists.org/reference/...n/works/various/capsys.htm
John Creighton
Forum Veteran

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 107
Total Posts: 835
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 22, 2013 - 9:02 PM:

BitterCrank wrote:

Have no fear: the grass beside the road will not be eaten.

They don't call it "carrot management" but there are whole departments on university campuses working on the ideal distance of a given sized carrot-to-a given-sized-Jackass's mouth; other departments are devoted to stick deployment. How big a carrot, how big a stick, how fat an ass, all carefully calibrated.

Sort of like how Yale, is training the military to "question people"?
http://www.democracynow.org/shows/2013/2/21

The official Yale position is that they will be
"Promoting Humane and Culturally respectful interview practices"

I wonder what they consider culturally respectful interview practices? Does this mean that they will inform the military that they are not allowed to emasculate someone by rubbing in their inability to impregnate their wife -- as was done in the case of Mohamedou Ould Slahi, which was recently discussed by Stuart Couch on democracy now.

On the plus side though, I guess if they can judge better if people are lying then there will be less need to "take off the gloves" as was advocated by John Brennium

Edited by John Creighton on Feb 22, 2013 - 9:20 PM
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Mar 9, 2013 - 1:07 AM, baden511 replied internally to ScottieX's Im going to woa....
On Mar 9, 2013 - 12:51 AM, Banno replied internally to Banno's .
On Mar 6, 2013 - 3:56 PM, ciceronianus replied internally to Hanover's You like to spend ti....
On Mar 6, 2013 - 2:47 PM, baden511 replied internally to Kelvin's The US federal gov....
On Mar 6, 2013 - 5:39 AM, Hanover replied internally to John Creighton's I've not suggest....
On Mar 5, 2013 - 8:21 PM, baden511 replied internally to baden511's Well, I don'....
On Mar 5, 2013 - 1:59 PM, ciceronianus replied internally to Kelvin's Dang. Even the so....
On Mar 5, 2013 - 12:27 PM, BitterCrank replied internally to Banno's Folks, just a note ....
On Mar 5, 2013 - 12:19 PM, Banno replied internally to BitterCrank's You seem to beco....
On Mar 5, 2013 - 12:17 PM, BitterCrank replied internally to baden511's Well, I don'....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.