The Illusions of Human Technology
wittge

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 19
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 10:22 AM:

Phillip Nero wrote:

It is not that I believe science or technology is in all cases useless, deplorable, or even a detriment; it could be on some issues of course, but not that the study and applications of scientific knowledge are altogether harmful; I simply mean to express that technological progress unrestrained by any sense of consideration for our future generations (our children), any strong morals (our conduct), and no sense on its social implications (our duty) may turn out to be highly deleterious to our very existence.

Any thoughts on this?

I agree with your way of thinking in its "social cover". Ofcourse, unrestrained use of every aspect of technology might be destroyable for human society. This is why technology is lead towards specific directions that can rise economic growth, domination strengthening and massive control, without social upset. However, good opportunities simultaneously arise through technology, like Internet that changed humanity and knowledge sharing for ever.

Technology is like fire discovery. We invent and discover things every day that can help us to develop further and improve our quality of living, just like man discovered fire and uses it through the ages. If instead someone ignores technology's purpose and puts no limits, it shall be like a fire, that man never extinguished and burned everything.
mway
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 1330
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 7:10 PM:

Humans will begin to change dramatically over the next fifty years, as technology starts to invade our biology. With a thorough understanding of the human brain, we will have the ability to change humanity into what ever we want. Why should we think the way we do?
treemanshope
global villager

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 364
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 10:33 PM:

Planting a tree is still the most fundamental and transformative of acts.
mway
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 1330
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 10:41 PM:

treemanshope wrote:
Planting a tree is still the most fundamental and transformative of acts.

How so?
alz3eeam
Initiate

Total Topics: 8
Total Posts: 23
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 15, 2009 - 12:37 AM:

thanks for the replies guys, I am a little busy these days,I will get back to this as soon as possible.
linear_occurance
Resident

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 135
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 21, 2009 - 12:50 AM:

I was always under the opinion that technology was a direct result of human thought, not the other way around. We think, then we advance. We think of the need for something, then we satisfy that need. Advancement. But I don't think it has made us think differently, and I don't think that many people do. In fact, if you are going to claim that people think technology has civilized us, simply point out to them that (I would guess) at least half of the great discoveries and advancments of our era have been funded by the military, and I know in the US its something like 65% of the national budget goes to military research and production. Technology may have changed they way we think about procuring meat, but I don't think it has changed the integral pieces that drive the human mind.

As to the changing the ideology of countries, I think it is a little rash to claim that this method of justification for war has been deemed un-moral. Look at the midle east for example. Any of the local conflicts, or for a more technicaly advanced nation, take the US in their attempts to bring democracy to the region. Is that not changing a persons ideals? We are still using that justification today. And as far as conquering goes, look only as far back as Hitler, we still have that drive also.

I dont know if I can agree that technology has made us think differently, and I am still a little lost as to the connection to the "change in the ideology" justification.
alz3eeam
Initiate

#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 3, 2009 - 4:39 AM:

Desidude666 wrote:
They do, and in fact, technology has completely transformed the process of thought. Our thoughts not only express our abilities with technology, they also reflect ourselves. Human senses don't change, the extent of their application does. But our thoughts? They do, and this is ideally reflected again, in our own advancements.

We have similar needs, but these needs do not reflect our thoughts. Autonomous needs hardly demonstrate careful thought.

Technologies reflect our knowledge of our surroundings and how we understood its laws. However, technologies in any generation is its ultimate illusion. "Our thoughts not only express our abilities with technology, they also reflect ourselves", this is the core evidence of my theory. We could see the truth of ourselves through understanding the formal basis of human thought. What brought us to this level of advancement is indeed dependent in our thoughts. But our thoughts have limits. Each generation "discretely" add to that recipe book(technology) through thoughts. When we compose those thoughts in an aggregate way we end up with our modern technologies and advancement. It is apparent how technologies evolved but much harder to understand its thoughts. To understand the nature of human thoughts we shall diverge it from all biases, and understand it from a skeletal basis. Thus, when analyzing a particular human thought we must understand its "LOGIC", the reasons of its existence and being. Nothing exists with no legitimate reason. When we grasp the logic, we would clearly see the analogy. We could then compare the old with new. What you will find is no surprise, all types of human thoughts remained constant through time. The idea behind each concept remained exactly the same. I would like to also add that the technological illusion alters proportionally with the level of knowledge of each generation. The Illusion can be classified as a psychological and social adaption to our surrounding advancement. I am still no sure of this but it also seems that with more knowledge and technology there is to adopt to, the greater the illusion.

Thanks for your comment

Edited by alz3eeam on Oct 3, 2009 - 4:46 AM
alz3eeam
Initiate

#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 3, 2009 - 5:01 AM:

I will reply to other comments very soon

thanks all
123savethewhales
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 505
#19 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 3, 2009 - 1:27 PM:

alz3eeam wrote:
I argue that that the human thought haven't changed a bit. Technology and science advancement only altered our "knowledge" but never changed the way we "think". Humans still thrive for domination, power, welfare, and conquest, from the discovery of fire to the new millennium and will probably continue, maybe in a more dogmatic way. Its hard to see it but if you really examined our modern social world , you can see the illusion I am talking about. This also make me skeptical of whether the "Technology and Science advancement" where caused by our love of knowledge and discovery, or whether it was pure social lust.

thoughts?

I see no illusion that the TV has transformed the way people live. Though I can't get into the couch potatoes' head to figure out if their way of thinking has also changed.
Laic
Initiate

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 35
#20 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 7, 2009 - 11:00 PM:

I'd like to make a few citations to where online technology had saved me pain and trouble a few times over other than the all useful google maps, free movies and books, this forum and those like it as well as my favorite research sites like the online sacred text archive and the all knowing all seeing Wikipedia.

Being online has allowed me to access books at my fingertips that I would not have been able to find in Any bookstore so it's saved me time and money. As well as it has changed the way I get my news, information and entertainment. This remotely impacts my social life because I don't have to leave the house or deal with people to get what I need. It's on my internet.

Sociologically speaking and on that note anyone interested in th topic need only to click onto YouTube and type in the search for a song by Brad Paisley called "Online"

I don't care if he was not around 300 years ago Brad Paisley is a philosopher in my mind 200% I love the man to bits.

Continuing.
Log onto a free dating site and we can socially pick out the rejects much more easily than in a bar or a cafe.

iz duh onez who tiep lik dis yo.

I don't care how someone is in person if they *rips out hair* yeah no I don't talk to anyone who can't type full words in person. Never will. I sit over people's backs and poke them when they do it on my computer.

Being online gives us a chance to present ourselves to a worldwide audience.

What we present online speaks for who we are in person. Socially I'm stranded in red neck ville and I'm quite the nerdy metro sexual type I'm from the GTA (Toronto area). It's isolating but I'm true to myself and being online allows me the social opportunity to have a little faith in humanity because there are still people with brains and morals in an online environment.

I can just log in and talk to people who are modern.

Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.