AnObserver
Initiate

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 11
Total Posts: 43
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 5, 2013 - 12:00 AM:
Subject: The Ethics of Thought ????
I'm posting this because I don't think I'm gonna get a response to a previous post of mine
forums.philosophyforums.com...ndpost=1061000#post1061000
so I thought this is definitely an ethical post but maybe I'm wrong and I still know next to nothing about philosophy?

What happens when we do come up with a really good model that accounts for all [or as near enough as possible] of the phenomena of thought? Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's perfect [or as near as perfect as possible]. What then? Will all thought be "corrected," IAW the model? Where will that take us? Will there be some people living outside of the dominating sphere of "correction?" Certainly, a powerful model could bring us faster into awareness but what of the other crazy/[insane] things that could happen from this? Resources are finite and will always be [possibly] finite. There's still going to be those better off than others. Could someone exploit this system???????

I hate to throw in the possibility that humanity may not last that long but...

Edited by AnObserver on Mar 5, 2013 - 1:14 AM
AnObserver
Initiate

#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 5, 2013 - 12:07 AM:

Am I just crazy? grin but imagine a world where thought could be "corrected" to a standard model. What kind of world would that be? I think the definition of "freedom" would be in conflict here.
AnObserver
Initiate

#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 5, 2013 - 12:23 AM:

Imagine some pill, some instrument/device, some therapy, some philosophy, some whatever you wish that corrects thought to a model that is utterly irrefutable. What then? What does that do for humanity and mankind? That seems to be what all the "to do" is about, right? What then people? What happens then?

Edited by AnObserver on Mar 5, 2013 - 1:12 AM. Reason: removed "standard" because... retarded.
hughsmith23
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 83
Total Posts: 569
#4 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 5, 2013 - 1:19 AM:

Well, yeah, if that happened then its very hard to imagine what the world would be like. But I don't even know how to begin imagining that.
AnObserver
Initiate

#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 1:47 PM:

I guess that I am not explicit enough or that these things I am thinking about presently are rather elementary in nature. I'm thinking the latter. Let's not rule me mad just yet. grin Apparently, I am only beginning to come into "awareness" by playing around with categories/definitions.

I was just thinking about how philosophy (all of philosophy) has developed and where is it going? Could all philosophical studies be categorized as an exercise in "correcting" thought? We could change the word "correcting" to controlling, nurturing, developing, understanding, manipulating, exploiting, or whatever. Basically, insert word of action here (here being "correcting").

I guess I'm thinking of a self-correcting algorithm???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-stabilization

I don't know. I definitely need to study logic/computer science more so I can have access to these terms/definitions/categories so I can communicate and exchange information better with you folks.

I guess I was thinking that all of this knowledge we are accumulating is rather frightening to me and what we find ethical today, obviously, will be a far cry from what they will find ethical in the future. Ethics evolves. Obviously, right? One just need look at history. Yep, a pretty elementary thought but it was thought I think I never quite appreciated.

One can imagine something out of a science-fiction horror movie. I imagine that's how some of the ancients might interpret our world today. But who knows, right? I guess it's all interpretation and conjecture? I'm sorry if I seem all scrambled to you all but... I'm playing with categories. I should probably keep to the casual philosophyesque forum until my mind exploration matures some more.confused
hughsmith23
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 83
Total Posts: 569
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 3:14 PM:

AnObserver wrote:
I guess that I am not explicit enough or that these things I am thinking about presently are rather elementary in nature. I'm thinking the latter. Let's not rule me mad just yet. Apparently, I am only beginning to come into "awareness" by playing around with categories/definitions.

I was just thinking about how philosophy (all of philosophy) has developed and where is it going? Could all philosophical studies be categorized as an exercise in "correcting" thought? We could change the word "correcting" to controlling, nurturing, developing, understanding, manipulating, exploiting, or whatever. Basically, insert word of action here (here being "correcting").

I guess I'm thinking of a self-correcting algorithm???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-stabilization

I don't know. I definitely need to study logic/computer science more so I can have access to these terms/definitions/categories so I can communicate and exchange information better with you folks.

I guess I was thinking that all of this knowledge we are accumulating is rather frightening to me and what we find ethical today, obviously, will be a far cry from what they will find ethical in the future. Ethics evolves. Obviously, right? One just need look at history. Yep, a pretty elementary thought but it was thought I think I never quite appreciated.

One can imagine something out of a science-fiction horror movie. I imagine that's how some of the ancients might interpret our world today. But who knows, right? I guess it's all interpretation and conjecture? I'm sorry if I seem all scrambled to you all but... I'm playing with categories. I should probably keep to the casual philosophyesque forum until my mind exploration matures some more.

At least one philosopher defines philosophy as essentially an art (creative) but with the medium of concepts (rather than say, paint). This is what is it like in my experience; I read about concepts and then I try to arrange them together, so they fit with each other. So if I already have a concept of freedom, that concept is interlinked with all the other concepts I have. If I change one, I have to change them all. Its more like walking a tightrope than any of "controlling, nurturing, developing, understanding, exploting", but quite close to manipulating.

But manipulating becomes correcting if you have a certain underlying certainty; if your philosophical system is arranged around a particular point, or a particular method, then necessarily it becomes corrective in relation to other philosophical systems. But I don't feel like I have a core point or method, so the experience is more one unfolding a complex shape while wearing a blindfold. The folds do not seem to be anticipatable. And its better for me the less anticipatable they are; like a painter who loses himself in the colour and the form, and then stares at the finished object, and the exact path he took to reach the object becomes obscure to him. Except in philosophy there is no finished object; you never have anything to show for what youve done (not even a book) and thats why it becomes important to argue with people (while painters can be silent); because that is how you prove that you have done something (you have arranged some concepts). If I know how I got the point at which I am at, I might as well have stayed in the same place. But part of my philosophical system (were it most generalized) is basically the narrative-in-concepts of how I got to were I am, written retrospectively.

Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.