TheJoker
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 50
Total Posts: 1
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 13, 2007 - 7:22 PM:
Subject: The Comparison Of Reason And Purpose
Lately I have been thinking to myself if reason and purpose are entirely different subjects or if they are the same.

So my question is:

Is reason and purpose the same in application or is there a intricate difference?
Epoche
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 13
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 13, 2007 - 8:08 PM:

Reason can be considered the "cause".

Purpose can be considered the "end".

The reason for X was for the purpose of Y, for example.

Simple enough?
Alekhine
Initiate

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 23
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 13, 2007 - 8:11 PM:

I think that reason and purpose are two different things. For example, the purpose of my writing this post was to promote discussion about this topic. One of the reasons why I am writing this post was to alleviate my boredom. The two are different. The ultimate purpose of an action is not necessarily dependent on the reasons why the action was made.
soon2bepro

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 0
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 13, 2007 - 9:26 PM:

What are you talking about?:

reason (plural reasons)
  1. A thought or a consideration offered in support of a determination or an opinion; a just ground for a conclusion or an action; that which is offered or accepted as an explanation; the efficient cause of an occurrence or a phenomenon; a motive for an action or a determination; proof, more or less decisive, for an opinion or a conclusion; principle; efficient cause; final cause; ground of argument. He had no reason to do that.
  2. The mind, the reasoning processes of the mind. Mankind should develop reason above all other virtues.
  3. Due exercise of the reasoning faculty; accordance with, or that which is accordant with and ratified by, the mind rightly exercised; right intellectual judgment; clear and fair deductions from true principles; that which is dictated or supported by the common sense of mankind; right conduct; right; propriety; justice. I was promised, on a time, To have reason for my rhyme. •Spenser
  4. (mathematics, obsolete) ratio; proportion.
Which one is it?

purpose (plural purposes)
  1. An object to be reached; a target; an aim; a goal.
  2. A result that is desired; an intention.
  3. The act of intending to do something; resolution; determination.
  4. The subject of discourse; the point at issue.
  5. The reason for which something is done, or the reason it is done in a particular way

And here?

(http://en.wiktionary.org)

Octavian

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 0
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 18, 2007 - 12:02 PM:

Is reason and purpose the same in application or is there a intricate difference?

Reason is dual in nature. Reason as in for doing, pursuing, the basis of the action has both purpose and consequence. Purpose and consequence are the basis of understanding a persons reasoning or reasons.

Purpose is much more the end result rational. Ones purpose for the action can and usually is the means, which is not always determined with the outset of reason(s). Reason is the why as it were. Reason(s) can change, the purpose does not.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.