Talking to yourself.

Talking to yourself.
zOOmz
psychobabbler
Avatar

Usergroup: Sponsors
Joined: Apr 25, 2003
Location: Florida

Total Topics: 36
Total Posts: 100
#31 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 1, 2007 - 10:50 PM:

pumkin wrote:




Touche zOOmz!

Self esteem is necessary for psychological survival. To avoid judgment s and self-rejection people erect barriers of defense. Typically, they may blame or project, intellectualize, and rationalize. Much of this behavior is conducted first as self talk. Since we cannot always change the circumstances we tend to change how we interpret the circumstances.


Some people create critical voices and others create health supportive voices. Then again some create vicarious voices who speak for the creator like actors in a play. This allows the creator to hide identity. Others such as schizophrenics create voices that they think emanate from outside of themselves.



I maintain a funny dialogue with myself. I crack myself up. grin
So I guess I am the actor/play voice type, only mine is a comedian.


Edited by zOOmz on Feb 1, 2007 - 10:57 PM
senbdib
Initiate

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 21, 2007

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 56
#32 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 2, 2007 - 7:45 PM:

zOOmz wrote:

I maintain a funny dialogue with myself. I crack myself up. grin
So I guess I am the actor/play voice type, only mine is a comedian.


If I'm watching TV or reading something on the computer, and I am alone, I often say something that I think is funny as if there's a person sitting next to me. Of course, I know that there isn't someone sitting next to me.

It just happens automatically, I think ever since I was younger. I wasn't a particularly lonely child, in fact I probably had more friends than I do now, but I distinctly remember one time, during recess in elementary school, I was sitting in the tree house by myself. A girl came up into it and looked at me scrutinizingly, and asked, "Were you just talking to yourself?" I answered no, and I honestly have no recollection of talking to myself, but the more that I think about it the more I can imagine it to be possible that I was doing the same thing that I do now.

I also do a similar thing if I am just taking a walk by myself where I know no one can see me. I think the most accurate way to describe it would be "practicing conversation," and I know other people do this occasionally, but honestly I am starting to freak myself out and have cut down on it drastically recently.

Maybe I've gone completely insane.
crystal_raye
Wandering Child
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 14, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 12
#33 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 4, 2007 - 9:42 PM:

Talking to yourself is a sign of intelligence as long as you know you're talking to yourself. Talking to yourself gives you a chance to verbally focus on your thoughts and ideas instead of having them all jumble around in your brain. Also, an intelligent being needs stimulation to prevent boredom and stagnation. When there is a lack of external stimulation for the brain to focus on it sometimes seeks to create it's own internal stimuli which can induce talking to yourself.
nash8
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Nov 22, 2006

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 0
#34 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 24, 2007 - 12:51 AM:

crystal_raye wrote:
Talking to yourself is a sign of intelligence as long as you know you're talking to yourself. Talking to yourself gives you a chance to verbally focus on your thoughts and ideas instead of having them all jumble around in your brain. Also, an intelligent being needs stimulation to prevent boredom and stagnation. When there is a lack of external stimulation for the brain to focus on it sometimes seeks to create it's own internal stimuli which can induce talking to yourself.


This is very true. Talking to yourself is very good, as long as you are talking to yourself and not another personality created by yourself. I also disagree that arguing with yourself is a bad thing, as long as you realize you are arguing with myself. I can't not talk to myself without arguing because I'm always right lol. I think talking with yourself is a healthy excersize, especially for intelligent people. Like someone said earlier, when you talk to yourself the level of intelligence is always the same.
Petrochik
Initiate

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 24, 2007

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 31
#35 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 8, 2007 - 10:53 PM:
Subject: ..
I do not see anything wrong with talking to yourself but you do not want to ask yourself a question since you know the same amount and same information you know and have same experiences you had. There is nothing new tot tell yourself he knows everything, he lives it.
Cadrache
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member
Joined: Dec 09, 2006
Location: AB, Canada

Total Topics: 111
Total Posts: 5008
#36 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 10, 2007 - 2:17 AM:

I think i'd disagree a little bit Petrochik. Dependant on the divisions of what each 'persona' or circuit the brain focuses about -- like primal or rationality-- then this portion of the brain will focus on aspect pertaining to its own relationship to the body. Some circuits will take more control at other times, but at the same time, all circuits would still be functioning.

In other words, each persons' generalized tunnel-vision could be further subdivided into further subdivisions. while you have the same location which initially recieves the information, each circuit may, and probably do interpret the stimulus seperately from each other. Each circuit would also store different relevant data in their own little repetoire of temporary, or long term memory because some data, like having 7 stray hairs does not make any relevance to what another circuit looks at. The rationality circuit may not know where the stored information is that the primal flee/run circuit observed.

Now, I think however, that there is probably something akin to a librarian that takes stock of all the information stored, and it could possibly retrieve all the data at once. It is possible that most peoples' decision is based from the entire load of information acquired from this, though the possiblity remains that all data may not be accessed this way.
Petrochik
Initiate

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 24, 2007

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 31
#37 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 10, 2007 - 3:20 AM:

Cadrache wrote:
I think i'd disagree a little bit Petrochik. Dependant on the divisions of what each 'persona' or circuit the brain focuses about -- like primal or rationality-- then this portion of the brain will focus on aspect pertaining to its own relationship to the body. Some circuits will take more control at other times, but at the same time, all circuits would still be functioning.

In other words, each persons' generalized tunnel-vision could be further subdivided into further subdivisions. while you have the same location which initially recieves the information, each circuit may, and probably do interpret the stimulus seperately from each other. Each circuit would also store different relevant data in their own little repetoire of temporary, or long term memory because some data, like having 7 stray hairs does not make any relevance to what another circuit looks at. The rationality circuit may not know where the stored information is that the primal flee/run circuit observed.



If you mean that you may be asking yourself an information that you do not know you already have; I agree with you.

Now, I think however, that there is probably something akin to a librarian that takes stock of all the information stored, and it could possibly retrieve all the data at once. It is possible that most peoples' decision is based from the entire load of information acquired from this, though the possiblity remains that all data may not be accessed this way.



Edited by ying on Mar 21, 2007 - 6:22 PM. Reason: Cosmetic change
slyder2412
Newbie

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 0
#38 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 13, 2007 - 11:40 AM:

I personally find that talking to myself allows me to lay my thoughts out in a coherent idea. Say i read something that i don't understand completely off the bat. That's usually because my thoughts are all over the place so after i look away from the reading, i explain to myself in terms/sequences that "I" understand and that makes sense to me, just as the author wrote it as it makes sense to himself.

Another way i talk to myself i guess i can describe as verbal meditation? I simply find it easier to comprehend the way i'm feeling when i say it out loud, THEN store it non-verbally. I think this allows me to define my thoughts with more direct meanings/definitions to "feeling words"(sad,happy,love,hate,etc). I mean, You can only physically speak so fast, opposed to a racing mind, and with that, you can dwell on specific things more in depth and with a more direct pace.

I hope i made some sense, and i am also curious if anyone also follows this "procedure"? Thanks.
eski
<default rank title>

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 27, 2007
Location: Under the Sea

Total Topics: 16
Total Posts: 132
#39 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 15, 2007 - 8:58 PM:

Am I the only one who rarely talks to them self when in thought? Guess I just don't think that way being dyslexic assuming that test I took wasn't total crapsticking out tongue
Gabrielle
Newbie
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Total Topics: 30
Total Posts: 16
#40 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 16, 2007 - 1:25 PM:

I just look at it as thinking out loud. People of faith often pray out loud to themselves but they're not really talking to themselves but a higher being. I'll talk to myself occasionally when I'm trying to sort out my thoughts (especially when I'm out walking). I'll talk to myself when I'm trying to remember things that I intend to do that day.
locked
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.