murphmack

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 1
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2012 - 9:05 PM:
Subject: Social Perceptions
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum here. This just popped into my head today and I felt like I had to share it with someone and I stumbled upon these forums.

Anyways, I feel like I want to develop it further, and it might not be fully communicated yet, but here goes:

Humans formulate action pre-emptively through sequences of internal information processing; the interaction of various thoughts feelings and intentions within a human will materialize into a specific action if the human wills it as such. I will reasonably assert without proof that no human has insight or knowledge of the specific thoughts feelings and intentions of another human prior to any specific action being materialized into the metaphysical world; suffice to say there is no existence of psychic, telekinetic, or other types of ethereal connections between humans that would allow the explicit exchange of information without interaction in the metaphysical world (e.g. speak, write, sign, etc.) With this said, is it possible that the trueness of an individual’s thoughts feelings and intentions are ultimately irrelevant post-metaphysical interaction, but rather it is the perpception of deliverance of those thoughts feelings and intentions by other beings from a social perspective that only carries legitimate weight, despite potential misconceptions of the intended nature of the metaphysical interaction?

I will edit as time goes on to articulate more... But what do you guys think? Does this sound like anything familiar said by someone else before? I am unfamiliar with the plethora of great philosophers who have existed previously.
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 184
Total Posts: 9195
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 7, 2012 - 9:58 PM:

murphmack wrote:
Hey guys,

I will reasonably assert without proof that no human has insight or knowledge of the specific thoughts feelings and intentions of another human prior to any specific action being materialized into the metaphysical world;

You are probably going further than you will later want to go with this idea.

First of all, there is such a thing as "theory of mind" which humans possess. The Theory of Mind is is developed over time. It comes from our experiences of interacting with one another. It is what enables us to guess (with sometimes precise accuracy, sometimes not) what somebody else is thinking. We don't "know" what they are thinking, but based on our experience, we have a pretty good idea of what they are probably thinking. Theory of mind is a critical asset; it allows us to interact much more effectively than we could without it.

Secondly, most of us are living under a very familiar cultural canopy which has shaped our experience. We have this cultural inheritance in common. So, when I meet a stranger, even one from a culture with whom I have had no previous experience, I can make some fairly good guesses about how to interact. For instance, I can predict than an aggressive approach will illicit an aggressive approach. A polite, diffident approach will be met with less hostility than an abrupt approach. On the other hand, appearing to be too shy and passive can trigger atempts to exploit weakness.

murphmack wrote:
suffice to say there is no existence of psychic, telekinetic, or other types of ethereal connections between humans that would allow the explicit exchange of information without interaction in the metaphysical world (e.g. speak, write, sign, etc.) With this said, is it possible that the trueness of an individual’s thoughts feelings and intentions are ultimately irrelevant post-metaphysical interaction, but rather it is the perpception of deliverance of those thoughts feelings and intentions by other beings from a social perspective that only carries legitimate weight, despite potential misconceptions of the intended nature of the metaphysical interaction?

I am not quite sure what you are saying here. Does this amount to "Trust but verify"?

Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.