Should Suicide Be Prevented?
play
Tat Tvam Asi

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 112
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 1, 2009 - 1:51 PM:

We should try to talk them out of it with every reason we can think of. We should listen to all they have to say. We should offer medications if they will take them. And after we have made our best efforts, if they haven't changed their minds, it is not right to force them to live against their will.

A game you're forced to play isn't a game and it isn't playing either. And when life stops being a game there's no reason to be here. Why persist in misery and suffering? What do you expect to get by going on? Life isn't for everyone so just let them go.
Ruminating Wanderer
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 15
Total Posts: 119
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 2, 2009 - 9:12 AM:

"All the inconveniences in the world are not considerable enough that a man should die to evade them: and besides there being so many sudden an unexpected changes in human things it is hard rightly to judge when we are at the end of our hope." Cafe Rob

What utter hogwash from the above poster!

Why do so many people view human life as something sacred (religious concerns aside) that has some kind of unimpeachable intrinsic value beyond the content of the pleasant and unpleasant experiences which characterise our lives? If you forbid people to committ suicide you should also forbid people from procreating in the first place so no 'misguided' suicides happen in the first place. You can't always expect people to dearly cherish the 'gift of life' that has been given to them - if people want to rush towards the grim reaper so be it. It's their life to take and death merely toys with us for a while before she devours us all anyway. And if someone dies at their own hand it's not like they're going to regret their decision afterwards, is it? On the other hand, they could well regret the missed opportunities they had to end their life if their lives become even worse in their potentially avoidable future.

We didn't always have such a maladjusted attitude towards death you know. In previous centuries we had a much healthier acceptance of the often high desirability of death. Nowadays, however, what with 21st century medical technology needlessly prolonging painful life in the terminally ill and with most deaths occuring sealed away from the public gaze we have become soft and overly fearful towards the termination of our own existence; trembling at the mere thought of our own demise and transforming our own repressed fears and anxieties about death into harsh judgements towards those who are desperate or determined enough to look squarely at the eternal oblivision that awaits us all and not flinch away. shaking head
TempletonEsquire
Irrationally Biased

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 252
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 2, 2009 - 10:31 AM:

play wrote:
We should try to talk them out of it with every reason we can think of. We should listen to all they have to say. We should offer medications if they will take them. And after we have made our best efforts, if they haven't changed their minds, it is not right to force them to live against their will.

A game you're forced to play isn't a game and it isn't playing either. And when life stops being a game there's no reason to be here. Why persist in misery and suffering? What do you expect to get by going on? Life isn't for everyone so just let them go.

How does one know the game stops? No one knows what happens to consciousness after death, and there are many possibilities, some of them very unpleasant. Could not death then be worse than life?
Markus

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 1
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 3, 2009 - 2:33 AM:
Subject: suicide
if a person is willing to face those after life theories that we all dread, then doesnt that mean that to them their lives are so bad that they would prefer the bad theories over the reality that they face? Choosing suicide may not be a choice of running away, to some it may be a choice of trying to better their own existence. And do we not all have a right to seek the best circumstances for our existence? So by taking away a person choice to live, we are not only forcing a person to live in a hell far worse than they believe in, we are also denying them their chance to better their existence.

My own mother commited suicide when I was young, so I know as well as anyone else what is left for those still alive. But if my mother had kept living chances were that her abusive boyfreind would have killed her anyway, along with me.so if she hadnt done what she did, it would have been a far greater evil.
In trying to prevent a person from suicide we are trying to prevent our own sadness and mournig. So, in short we are condeming a person to a living hell to prevent our own discomfort.
Vulcan23
Initiate

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 23
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 10, 2009 - 2:59 PM:

We all die eventually so why not by your own will?

No matter what you do, you will eventually succumb.
Phaedruswax
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 6
Total Posts: 104
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 10, 2009 - 3:08 PM:

Suicide is natural selection. The weak succumbing to death is the universe's way of cleaning up.
variant

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 3
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 12, 2009 - 7:11 AM:

suicide is mere choice.

We only know what life is cause its our persevered reality,we know no different.so we have grand ideas that we should save people from suicide.
Life can be boring even for the sane mind.when you get to a point when nothing really stimulates you.or its doesn't get any better at a certain point in your life.The final adventure is death,the very thing we haven't totally understood or answered.I don't view suicide as bad thing like I don't view death.No one has a right to say one must live, personally I'm bored of life now.I can understand anyone who wants to escape.(could go into more detail but I wont)My opinion was based on a sane mind not depressive mind etc.

Edited by variant on Aug 12, 2009 - 10:57 AM
Cassie
Initiate

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 54
#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 12, 2009 - 7:34 AM:

Contemplating suicide as a result or symptom of mental illness (e.g. depression) is considered to be something we should prevent, just the same as people are treated with insulin when they have diabetes to prevent death. People with diabetes didn’t choose to have diabetes, just like people with depression didn’t choose to have depression – therefore it’s thought our duty as a society to prevent a death as a result of these illness’s. However, if a person does not have a mental illness and is contemplating suicide you have to consider it a rational decision. This is not preventable.
Download thread as
  • 20/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.