Missing posts / members X
Philosophy Forums was hacked on September 6th. Due to the hacker, everything between July 24th and September 6th is permanently missing. Unfortunately, automated backups had to be turned off months ago because they were crashing the server. We're evaluating how to stop this from happening again. You may be able to find your own posts in a google cache to re-post them, if you want to.

Plato- He who knows what is right must do what is right?

Plato- He who knows what is right must do what is right?
Jiaeneth

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 0
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 25, 2006 - 10:43 AM:
Subject: Plato- He who knows what is right must do what is right?
Hey~

In which of Plato's Dialogues did he come to the conclusion that no one ever does evil willingly? I know that he mentions it in The Apology, but where else?
U

Total Topics: 7
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 10:30 AM:

I think what he meant was, anyone who does evil, doesnt know what they are doing is evil.

They do what they do because they want what they feel is good.

Nobody chooses to do what they know will cause them only suffering.

People do evil because they think its good.
Maieutics

Total Topics: 1
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 11:03 AM:

Have you tried the rest of his dialouges that go along with apology? Those being Crito, Meno, Phaedo, Euthyphro.
U

Total Topics: 7
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 12:58 PM:

I've only read the dialogues involving socrates.

Other than that I've read Plato's timaeus and Aristotle's physics and On the heavens.
SCB

Total Topics: 1
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 6, 2006 - 10:27 PM:

Jiaeneth wrote:
Hey~

In which of Plato's Dialogues did he come to the conclusion that no one ever does evil willingly? I know that he mentions it in The Apology, but where else?

He expresses that point in the Timeaus (86b-e) after discussing how the soul can succumb to diseases. "But it is not right to reproach people for them, for no one is willfully evil. A man becomes evil, rather, as a result of one or another corrupt condition of his body and an uneducated upbringing. No one who incurs these pernicious conditions would will to have them."
tosk

Total Topics: 9
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 7, 2006 - 7:20 AM:

"Right" is relative and can vary greatly among people. Hitler probably thought killing Jews is right.

There do also exist people who don't do what they think is right, and they are addicts, failures and people who are in general dissatisfied with themselves, exactly because they don't do what they think is right.

I can identify myself with the quote "He who knows what is right must do what is right". In the past I used to set to myself as my highest maxim that as long as I do what I think is right then that is all I can do. I still believe now that that kind of thinking is right.
Cosmic Consciousness

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 1
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 7, 2006 - 9:41 AM:

I believe the particular statement, "To know the good is to do the good;" was actually said by Socrates and then written down on text by his disciple, Plato.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.