Motivational query
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 178
Total Posts: 7278
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 1:21 PM:

Dangerous Dave: The danger you pose may be to your self.

Just joking... probably.
unenlightened
puppet dictator

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 89
Total Posts: 10103
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 1:58 PM:

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
"what one ought to do (now) is think about what one ought to do (next)".

There's a special name for this; it's called procrastinating. wink

That is to say that sometimes it is a good idea to think about what to do next, but only if one next does what one has thought about.
Ginger17
Forum Veteran

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 51
Total Posts: 662
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 2:35 PM:

. wonder if a "purpose" in life wasn't a product of natural selection because of its goal directed utility. All animals have evolved goal directed behaviors that enhance their survival. We call our goal directed behaviors "purpose" and even embellish and invent new ones.
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 178
Total Posts: 7278
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 2:57 PM:

Per the pragmatists, our thoughts follow our actions. This may seem absurd at first glance (or maybe not), but consider: The vast complexity of LIFE pushes and pulls us into actions which are not contemplated prior to execution. If you are hungry and someone gives you a plate of steamed mussels (clams) or muscles (steak) -- but no choice -- you will eat, and you may discover that you like mussels better than muscles. OR you hear a strange noise behind you and you run, and the longer you run, the more you fear. Life is one big operant conditioner: it presents us with stimuli, we respond and the result is good or it is bad, and we are confirmed in our action.

Action is critical. Even philosophers of the contemplative sort have to eventually act (at least to write it down or give lectures) else they starve and die utterly unknown.

The end of the road, whether it be action or contemplation, does not necessarily lead to a bonanza of good things or insight, which is just the screwy way that life is.

frog

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 14
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2012 - 4:40 PM:

What is wrong with the OP statement as a motivation for philosophical thought?
Nothing, in my opinion, because it motivated me to think about it long enough to realize that if one made it the purpose of one’s life to find the purpose of life then, once one found it, the purpose of one’s life would be achieved. To go on and change one’s purpose of life to the found purpose of life would entail a second purpose and therefore either the first purpose or the second must be wrong because there can be only one definitive purpose of life in the philosophical understanding of the term.

Now we all have a headache. wink
LegendLength
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 22
Total Posts: 713
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 17, 2012 - 8:49 AM:

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
Lazy of me to post in this section but anyways:

I'm wondering what, if anything, is wrong with the following argument, motivating philosophical study:

The purpose of life is:

1) To find out the purpose of life;

2) To make the purpose of life, once found, one's own purpose.

Thoughts appreciated.

I have no immediate problem with it as long as you acknowledge that at the most basic level there is no such thing as purpose.
chazwyman
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 834
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 17, 2012 - 8:54 AM:

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
Lazy of me to post in this section but anyways:

I'm wondering what, if anything, is wrong with the following argument, motivating philosophical study:

The purpose of life is:

1) To find out the purpose of life;

2) To make the purpose of life, once found, one's own purpose.

Thoughts appreciated.

1) assumes an objectively true state, which cannot possibly be found negating 2.

If you really think 1 is valid then I ask 'says who?' The purpose of a virus cannot possibly be the same as for a lion or a human.

3) The purpose if your life is what you want it to be, or think it ought to be.

Sorry, you don't have permission to post. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.