TecnoTut
Resident

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 221
Total Posts: 144
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 24, 2004 - 9:35 PM:

sheol wrote:

Property dualism is physicalism, but that physical things have mental properties, and physical properties. (Within this there is interactionist property dualism, and epiphenominalism)

Correct -- and the former subset is sometimes known as "emergentism."

sheol wrote:

Functionalism is phsicalism, with the addition that if two things are functionally isomophic, then they are in fact the same.

Incorrect. Functionalism is compatible with both physicalism, idealism and substantive dualism. Functional properties may be instantied by either physical substances or mental substances (ectoplasm). It just so happens to be that most physicalists are functionalists because of multiple realizability.
kcamyar

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 7
Total Posts: 12
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 25, 2004 - 5:02 AM:

The following article may be relevant to the debate,dated 1998.
I've had a brief read,but it will take some time for me to fully understand the view being put forward.

http://www.arts.unimelb.edu.au/~tgelder/papers/MDP.html
muxol
yuletide

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 19
Total Posts: 29
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 5, 2004 - 6:53 AM:

sheol wrote:
Acctually you are making the category errors here.

"<" is "is a subset of"

{Idealism, Physicalism} < {Monism}
{Property Dualism, Logical Behaviorism, Functionalism} < {Physicalism}

Monism is a belief that there is fundamentally one kind of thing.
Dualism is a belief that there are fundamentally two kinds of things.
(One could also imagine multiplism which dualism would belong to, but could include three or more things...)

Idealism (more appropriately in the modern world refered to as Mentalism) is a belief that mind makes up reality.
Physicalism is a belief that "physical things" make up reality.

Property dualism is physicalism, but that physical things have mental properties, and physical properties. (Within this there is interactionist property dualism, and epiphenominalism)

Functionalism is phsicalism, with the addition that if two things are functionally isomophic, then they are in fact the same.

actually i've made no category mistake and i believe your formulation of functionalism and logical behaviorism are mistaken. why? logical behaviorism is a semantic thesis and so it isn't making any ontological claim and so it isn't physicalistic. u may be able to construe it as ontologically monist, but the thesis itself certainly is not physicalistic.

functionalism, on the other hand, is only physicalistic in perhaps one respect - token physicalistically. functionalism is not compatible with type physicalism because type physicalism identifies mental states with physical states and functionalism identifies mental states with functional states. however, functionalism is compatible with token physicalism because it doesn't deny that, up until now, it is possible that all mental events have been physical events (or that all mental states, up until now, have been physically realized). i add the qualification "up until now" because functionalism also doesn't deny the possibility that future mental events be non-physical events or mental states be non-physically realized. as technotut mentioned, functionalism is entirely compatible with the view that mental states could be realized by ectoplasm. the physical substrate, if there is one, of a mental state is irrelevant.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.