Nihilistic Locomotive
Borgesian Eliza Clone

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 236
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 6, 2013 - 11:51 PM:
Subject: Jesus or Buddha
These two figures, Jesus and Buddha, have attendant scenes that make them memorable.

Jesus was hoisted up on a wooden cross, his palms nailed, and tortured until death. (This image of the crucifixion may not have been historically accurate but it is what many are exposed to, strange imaginations.)

Buddha sits under a ficus tree and mediates until something happens (he is released from what troubles him).

I'm going to assume (for fun) that both of these figures represent the same thing (whatever that may be) and the way in which they have been culturally presented provides some kind of psychological insight (who can say?).

Both figures die to themselves and are reborn, acquiring the attributes of divinity (the fetishism of others).

Which symbol do you prefer?

On Feb 7, 2013 - 4:32 AM, 180 Proof responded: Monolith
On Feb 7, 2013 - 4:51 AM, To Mega Therion responded: Prometheus.
On Feb 7, 2013 - 8:41 PM, ying responded: Dao.
On Feb 26, 2013 - 11:13 PM, Soy Sauce Ninja responded: Dionysus
MrSkeptic
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 80
Total Posts: 893
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 12:56 AM:

First, I don't think they are equivalent. The cruxification was a sacrifice and the Buddha under the tree is about enlightenment, so I am not sure why you are assuming they are the same.

I prefer the idea of enlightenment over the idea of sacrifice.

Rich Vernadeau
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 297
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 1:13 AM:

The only caveat I might add to this is that there are a number of traditions that relate that Buddha died from eating poison mushrooms that he was given. Whether the person giving them was acting deliberately or accidentally varies from one tradition to another. In one tradition, as Buddha was dying, he uttered last words to the effect "This is the second best meal I have ever eaten, for this one releases me from this world". Not implying that any of this necessarilly makes his death any kind of martyrdom or sacrifice, but it is additional "grist for the mill" of the discussion.
On Feb 7, 2013 - 2:01 AM, MrSkeptic responded: If we compare Jesus' death and the Buddhas death, the bible authors did a better job of giving Jesus divinity. God dies to appease himself and saves humanity in the process. The Buddha just left without saying good bye.
swstephe
PF Addict

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 39
Total Posts: 1436
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 1:21 AM:

The Great Whatever
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 71
Total Posts: 3521
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 1:39 AM:

Probably the Buddha...both were probably whackjobs to an extent, but Jesus had all of that apocalypse crap to deal with, too.
unenlightened
How many cows? 0, 1, 2?

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 90
Total Posts: 10324
#6 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 5:38 AM:

I prefer Jesus, because no one is inclined to follow him.
Huangdi
You cant handle the truth

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 199
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 10:59 AM:

Nihilistic Locomotive wrote:
These two figures, Jesus and Buddha, have attendant scenes that make them memorable.

Which symbol do you prefer?

This is essentially, "you say tomato, I say tomahto." They are the same.
xisnotx
Initiate

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 29
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 7, 2013 - 2:14 PM:

juddah

Nihilistic Locomotive
Borgesian Eliza Clone

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 236
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 8, 2013 - 12:53 AM:

uenli wrote:
I prefer Jesus, because no one is inclined to follow him.

So you either refer to the hypocrisy of many of those displaying a "What Would Jesus Do" bumper sticker on their vehicles or the literal end of martyrdom (?).

It might be because the events from which Christianity evolved are inexplicable (supernatural) and have no satisfying answer, while the Buddha is more readily accepted as a secular model of cerebral liberation.

Wosret
Assassin

Total Topics: 73
Total Posts: 8421
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 8, 2013 - 2:55 AM:

Hard decision, I only really got interested in Buddha because it was easier for me to believe that I wanted to be like a character in a fiction so much because she represented a path to enlightenment -- although, the allegory was actually closer to Christian than Buddhist. I suppose Buddha because he wasn't a Christian, and my past made that less appealing, and Buddhism seemed more secular, less mythical, and there were specific practices, and ways of actions outlined, whereas Jesus was pretty vague, and historians only really agree that he said about a dozen things that are attributed to him.

Really though, I used Buddha to displace my center, and divide myself -- because it was a lot easier, and more congenial to sensibilities (I thought), for my interest in that character to be about virtue, love, and spirituality -- but really, it isn't as if I spend any time practicing it, after about six months, and haven't read a significant amount on it. It never really interested me (besides the grandiose parts, and the idea of how respected, and loved they are as people). The only reason I watched the story was because it crossed gender barriers, and the spiritual stuff was me attempting to salvage some semblance of dignity, and self-respect.

In short, beyond ideally, and for guilt, and shame, neither of them interest me in any significant sense. I desperately wanted it to be about them though, especially at the time.

Edited by Wosret on Feb 8, 2013 - 4:30 AM
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Mar 1, 2013 - 7:48 PM, Huangdi replied internally to Huangdi's Jesus was just a dud....
On Mar 1, 2013 - 6:01 PM, Nihilistic Locomotive replied internally to Huangdi's Jesus was just a dud....
On Feb 26, 2013 - 11:13 PM, Soy Sauce Ninja replied internally to Nihilistic Locomotive's These two figures, J....
On Feb 23, 2013 - 1:28 AM, Nihilistic Locomotive replied internally to ModBot's I'm not really s....
On Feb 7, 2013 - 8:41 PM, ying replied internally to Nihilistic Locomotive's These two figures, J....
On Feb 7, 2013 - 4:51 AM, To Mega Therion replied internally to Nihilistic Locomotive's These two figures, J....
On Feb 7, 2013 - 4:32 AM, 180 Proof replied internally to Nihilistic Locomotive's These two figures, J....
On Feb 7, 2013 - 2:01 AM, MrSkeptic replied internally to Rich Vernadeau's The only caveat I mi....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.