Is conflict inevitable?
cera

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 1
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 29, 2009 - 12:56 PM:
Subject: Is conflict inevitable?
Is it impossible to never have conflict in life? If you do not have conflict,then how do you progress in life? And does conflict always lead to an argument?
CDJR
Initiate

Total Topics: 6
Total Posts: 36
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 29, 2009 - 2:27 PM:

The conflict perspective of sociology can quite sum up all answers to your questions. This view holds that, as you speculated, conflict is necessary for progress to occur. conflict comes up in order to fix previously unrecognized problems within a society. Always an argument? I suppose some of the simplest conflicts that come up can be resolved without an argument. Someone may bring something up and that itself would be a conflict but then may be immediately resolved without any attempt at a discussion.
wuliheron
Resident

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 49
Total Posts: 466
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2009 - 2:53 AM:

Lao Tzu wrote:
Wandering

What is the difference between assent and denial?
What is the difference between beautiful and ugly?
What is the difference between fearsome and afraid?
The people are merry as if at a magnificent party
Or playing in the park at springtime,
But I am tranquil and wandering,
Like a newborn before it learns to smile,
Alone, with no true home.
The people have enough and to spare,
Where I have nothing,
And my heart is foolish,
Muddled and cloudy.
The people are bright and certain,
Where I am dim and confused;
The people are clever and wise,
Where I am dull and ignorant;
Aimless as a wave drifting over the sea,
Attached to nothing.
The people are busy with purpose,
Where I am impractical and rough;
I do not share the peoples' cares
But I am fed at nature's breast.

There are a number of ancient tales in China about a man who supposidly swore he would fight the Tao no more. In each story he wanders into one new town after another where often the people in the town are fighting. Without trying to do anything, clown-like he bumbles his way through and everything straightens itself out behind him. I am waiting impatiently for someone to collect all these stories into a book.

The Japanese have an ancient form of dance called No-Dancing in which the objective is for the dancer to look spontaneous, as if they are not really dancing. Often the dance they do is that of a drunk stumbling around the stage. It can be mesmerizing to watch, just as watching a small child break out into dance can be mesmerizing.

Avoiding all conflict in our lives may be impossible, but there are certainly some of us who do pretty well for ourselves. Those who can do so without even thinking about it are often the best.
Absolutely Relative
[Aspiring] Stoic.

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 207
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2009 - 8:07 AM:

I think that the definition of conflict needs to be made clear in order to answer this question. In the broad sense, I believe that some conflict can be avoided, and some cannot. If conflict is competition, then it certainly leads to better outcomes: Competition between companies leads to innovation, lower prices and better products; competition between sports teams improves the game; competition between prospective mates improves the species.

If you mean violent conflict in a society, that is something we would probably prefer to avoid. I personally believe that there is sometimes a choice worse than war, which is why I choose to serve in them.
Reyes

Total Posts: 5
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 1, 2009 - 3:47 PM:

I believe that a world without conflict is possible, but not maintainable. In order to achieve a world of peace everyone must eithr by coincidence or hard work be perfectly content with the way things are. With this idea in mind one can begin to understand why peace could not be maintained. Not everyone can be merely content for ever.
world peace does not equate happiness. this is so because, in my opinion, there are too many diversities that prevent people from truly understanding one another. As networking expands the amount of differences shrink and yet the greatest conflicts of all become more ferocious.
CDJR
Initiate

Total Topics: 6
Total Posts: 36
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 1, 2009 - 4:48 PM:

Interesting last bit about shrinking differences but bigger conflicts. Douglas Adams, creator of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, theorized in the segment about the babel fish and the nonexistence of god about the same thing. Using the babel fish, everyone understands what everyone else is saying, despite the language. Then, the wars get bigger and more brutal. So, our differences in language can stand as an ignorance barrier: sure, someone may say something bad about you but can you do anything about if you don't know that that is what is being said because of a language barrier? And on wars: I see them as the biggest kind of conflict and as such the best way to get the stubbornest of people/nations to do something about a problem. They will not get the point any other way. I wish they didn't happen but they do serve a purpose. Just like those stubborn people/nations. God, our world is so screwed...
rookan
Resident

Total Topics: 29
Total Posts: 272
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 2, 2009 - 11:33 AM:

cera wrote:
Is it impossible to never have conflict in life? If you do not have conflict,then how do you progress in life? And does conflict always lead to an argument?

The Law Entropy: everything falls apart eventually, even peace.
If there is no end of time then anything that can happen will happen.
Banno
Tiff's bit of wruff.

Total Topics: 468
Total Posts: 10030
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 2, 2009 - 1:12 PM:

cera wrote:
Is it impossible to never have conflict in life?

I have an almost overwhelming urge to just post "no, dickhead". But of course I will resist it...sticking out tongue
unenlightened
How many cows? 0, 1, 2?

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 89
Total Posts: 12401
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 2, 2009 - 2:23 PM:

Banno wrote:
cera wrote:
Is it impossible to never have conflict in life?

I have an almost overwhelming urge to just post "no, dickhead". But of course I will resist it...sticking out tongue

Given that We cannot agree even about Banno's certainty about how many hands he has, the prospects are not looking good. Strictly speaking, to the extent that there has ever been conflict, to that extent it is impossible never to have conflict. But I hold out the possibility that one can end conflict in oneself, such that though the world may be in conflict with one, still one is not in conflict with the world. But perhaps that is too mystical - I won't argue it.
aga

Total Posts: 13
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 4, 2009 - 10:42 AM:

cera wrote:
Is it impossible to never have conflict in life? ...

Because there is an opposite to everything, and opposites are always in opposition and conflict, it is impossible to never have conflict in life.
But because opposites are also composites, and composites are always in harmony, it is also impossible to never have harmony in life.

cera wrote:
If you do not have conflict,then how do you progress in life? ...

Dna.
Also, there is progress in regress, and vice versa.

cera wrote:
And does conflict always lead to an argument?

Conflict always leads to arguments only when the parties to the argument are already conflicted about conflicts.
Parties already conflicted about conflict are in conflict even when in harmony.

Parties already in harmony about conflict are in harmony even when conflicted, pre-resolve most conflicts before they occur, solve them when they occur, and are in double harmony when in harmony.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.