AerosPyros
potential philosopher

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 45
Total Posts: 285
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 13, 2012 - 7:58 PM:
Subject: Intrapersonal Values
So you're in the future where all menial labor can be done by robots, and you are alone with the robots for five years (without friends or family) and for an unknown reason you are not preparing good things for them . Your every need is taken care of by the robots, and they maintain themselves. What would be the right thing to do? Would you just have fun all of the time or would that just be a waste of time? What would give you a sense of meaning?
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 182
Total Posts: 7603
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 13, 2012 - 11:10 PM:

"and for an unknown reason you are not preparing good things for them " ??? What do you mean here?

Have fun in solitary? Great! And just what am I supposed to do for fun? Is there an end to this situation or does it go on forever? If forever, the funnest idea would be to kill myself as quickly as possible to get the hell out of there. (Literally) Meaning? I'm in a vacuum of meaning.

Without human intercourse (not talking sex here) there is no meaning, and not much fun either. Indeed, however good the robots may be at taking care of my "every need" there is one need they can not meet, and that is other people. In the absence of others, many people will go mad fairly soon. Not as mad as they do in solitary confinement in a little cell surrounded by other crazy people, and not as fast. But they will gradually become unhinged, in many cases. There may be some people who would last for 5 years, but not very many, and even if they survived for 5 years, they would likely be in poor mental shape.
Veritas Vincit
Philosophical Dilettante

Total Topics: 122
Total Posts: 4565
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 14, 2012 - 3:36 AM:

I often describe myself as a loner's loner, but your scenario is totally bleak. Not for me, thanks. I'd probably off myself, just to get out of there.

For some loners it'd be an attractive fantasy come true - for about five minutes or five hours. Even five days would be more than enough for me. Five years? Are you kidding?
AerosPyros
potential philosopher

Total Topics: 45
Total Posts: 285
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 14, 2012 - 6:21 PM:

I wasn't asking whether someone would like to be alone. What would be ethical if someone were alone? Or what are ethics that apply to how someone treats him/herself? Or what would be a meaningful thing to do alone?

Or perhaps it would be better to ask: If you were around other people, what would be a proper way to treat yourself? I didn't mean that people should be alone.
Veritas Vincit
Philosophical Dilettante

#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 14, 2012 - 8:36 PM:

AerosPyros wrote:
I wasn't asking whether someone would like to be alone. What would be ethical if someone were alone? Or what are ethics that apply to how someone treats him/herself? Or what would be a meaningful thing to do alone?

Or perhaps it would be better to ask: If you were around other people, what would be a proper way to treat yourself? I didn't mean that people should be alone.
Thanks for the clarification, but now I see no meaningful question.
Fallen Hawthorn
Defeated Skeptic

Total Topics: 18
Total Posts: 278
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 14, 2012 - 9:11 PM:

Now, if I get out in the 5 years, the most meaningful thing I could do is prepare for my injection back into the rest of the planet through study and various activities. This would make me the most competent being I could be, and capable of the most good/ethical behaviour. (This assumes that the robots are unconscious/nonliving)

There would be no need for, or even a concept of, ethical behaviour apart from anything that could be considered a 'being.'
TripperHappy

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 5
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 15, 2012 - 12:34 AM:

I would definitely not ponder such questions alone for 5 years. You would go crazy! Like Neitzche

There are plenty of things to preoccupy an inquisitive mind if left alone for 5 years.

I think ethics would not play apart in this situation, if the robots cannot feel then there is nothing unethical you could do to them.
As for doing unethical things to yourself....I dont think you can? I though ethics was all about how your actions effect others. If you do something harmful to yourself, your not unethical, your just stupid..
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Total Topics: 182
Total Posts: 7603
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 15, 2012 - 4:35 AM:

The 'golden rule' says we should "love one another as we love ourselves" or "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Apparently we have some obligation to ourselves. Maintaining the self as appropriately as one is able (well fed, well read, well sheltered, etc.) is an obligation to self, first, and others second. It is a waste of the self, and a waste of a resource for others to just slouch around like a sick animal, sleeping on the manure pile until you die.

Individuals have worth, but it is in the context of others. Were one the last living person on earth, one's responsibilities to one's self would be rather limited, because the "context of others" would be missing. Still, the last living person might have one or two desires left to fulfill -- like dying gracefully.
Veritas Vincit
Philosophical Dilettante

#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 15, 2012 - 12:51 PM:

BitterCrank wrote:
Still, the last living person might have one or two desires left to fulfill -- like dying gracefully.
Yes, but there'd be no one left to notice if it was graceful or not. What a pity, that.
On Apr 15, 2012 - 8:15 PM, BitterCrank responded: If you died very ungracefully, you would be the sole witness (but witness enough) of an overly slow, clumsy, inartistic death. But only until you were dead, of course.
Download thread as
  • 20/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Apr 15, 2012 - 8:15 PM, BitterCrank replied internally to Veritas Vincit's Yes, but there'd....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.