How Society influence an Individual
sfrank99

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 0
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 21, 2004 - 6:28 PM:

Hey Everyone.

I am doing a presentation on how society has affected and infulenced the individual over the years and even in the past. If anyone has any ideas, comments or ideas for this please let me know. I was hoping to also include some sort of a test which each person can do to make them see how they are affected. . . just an idea . . .

I also want to discuss this if anyone is interested smiling face
Thanks
Socrastein
Unabashedly ignorant

Total Topics: 45
Total Posts: 155
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 21, 2004 - 10:39 PM:

Watch Bowling for Columbine.
zwiefecj

Total Topics: 0
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 22, 2004 - 10:10 AM:

How does society affect an individual?

...How would it not?
sensabile
Tenured Poser

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 127
Total Posts: 104
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 22, 2004 - 3:57 PM:

sfrank99 wrote:
I am doing a presentation on how society has affected and infulenced the individual over the years and even in the past. If anyone has any ideas, comments or ideas for this please let me know. I was hoping to also include some sort of a test which each person can do to make them see how they are affected. . . just an idea . . .

You should research majority influence if you're interested in how society can affect the individual. What sort of test are you planning on conducting on us poor (unsuspecting?) participants?

...How would it not?

If somebody is an individual then they are not affected by society in numerous ways. Do not confuse an individual with an anti-conformist who is paradoxically conforming to the opposite behaviour of the majority.
Fides Custos

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 2
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 22, 2004 - 4:07 PM:

Well, I do say, in a number of ways. You may want to look up trends and fashions and see how they grow. The level of manners and conduct in social settings has steadily decreased since World War 1 and is now at an all time low especially in the Media.

My best advice would be to pick out a couple of categories like the one I mentioned above if you want and research each one than combine them because each person is influenced in so many ways by society they are each a subject in themselves, here are a couple more.

1. The will to compete with peers in society.
2. The need to define or isolate ones self and stand out.
3. Organizations that rose out of societies need.
4. Differing groups and opinions in a single society.

That's just what I could come up with off the top of my head.
spiritualiize

Total Topics: 13
Total Posts: 1
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 23, 2004 - 2:35 PM:

Sensabile wrote:
Do not confuse an individual with an anti-conformist who is paradoxically conforming to the opposite behaviour of the majority.

Good eye in catching that. Nothing worse than the so-called 21st cent. anti-conforming nihilist "Individuals" that ironically enough conform to an all black attire. The individual is mouch more than that.

Fides Custos wrote:
1. The will to compete with peers in society.
2. The need to define or isolate ones self and stand out.

These first two can be taken as a Will to Power. The immediate presence of another being drives a person toward that increasing feeling of Power. Unlike the power-full sensation one gets from creation (ie. writing, painting, etc), having power-over-another is a definite influence on the choices an indivdual will make. A society poses this, and either the individuality of a man will get lost in the majority or will even help in becoming a stronger individual. Either/Or, there is a great deal of influence projected by the environment.

I would also add that a society will contribute to the mood of a person which in turns affects the manner in which an individual might act.

Example:

1. Anxiety- the possibilities of an un-controllable situation caused by the environment and free individuals creates an insecure anxiety- a realization that you do not control everything. This may cause irrational actions or even no action at all.

2. Anger- Most likely brought upon by another subject than yourself. Need I even say the things that are caused by anger?
Yulia

Total Topics: 1
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 27, 2004 - 6:49 PM:

Society not merely influences on individual, society creates individuals (see Crossley 'Intersubjectivity' he elaborates this point in the detais). There is not individuality separated form society. Even the apiration to individuality as distinctivness derived from social existance. Would you want to be a different if evry body are different? You want to be different coz you think everybody else are very similar. It seems to me like black and white. its also a very old phylosophycal dispute what is first society or individual?

About experiment its very easy just look on what man and women wearing and the way they siting, im sure you will find some difference and then ask them why girls sit they way they sit,wear what they wear.... and so on
luciferchrist

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 2
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 29, 2004 - 3:21 PM:

People percieve themselves, and the world they live in according to the culture they have been exposed to. Our perceptions of ourselves and society all arise from social interactions. We want to know why people do the things we do in an effort to learn more about ourselves, and it is this knowledge that allows us to cope effectively with situations that confront us.

We can examine this through attribution theory, which states that people are motivated to make sense out of a behavior in order to make sense out of the behaviors.

This is based on a scale involving three dimensions...
1. Internal/external causes
2. stable/unstable causes
3. controlable/uncontrolable causes

attribution theory is the key to understanding social behaviors. From here we can go into any numerous examples of social interaction.

We base our perception of social interaction on our learned attitudes towards particular situations, and we generally like to base our attitudes towards different groups in society in response to what we learn about different groups in society. We essentially engae in activities associated with our behaviors.

Think of your friends. You probally are part of some kind of social circle, and this social circle includes individuals who percieve the world in common ways. After you meet someone you initially might share a couple ideas, and disagree on more ideas, but it is the likeminded thinking that will draw us to a person. If we engage in a friendship with someone we soley disagree with, we will either conform to eachothers ideas, or abandon the friendship.

No matter how much anyone says, "I am unique!" or "Nah, I don't follow the crowd!" That is straight up bullshit. We must adapt, and conform to standards of society if we wish to suceed in society. Think about it, if you really did not follow you would: fart and curse in class, stab someone who pisses you off, call out people whom you stereotype (coward racists), smoke weed in front of a police officer, and drive 100 miles per hour in a school zone.

Sociocultural influences our behaviors, which in turn creates our identities. (i.e., I love skateboarding more than anything else in the world. I am a skater)

If you want more information on how society influences us, check out behavioral and sociocultural approaches. IMO, the underlying causes for our social interactions is an confluence of operant conditioning, classical conditioning, and observational conditioning.
sensabile
Tenured Poser

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 127
Total Posts: 104
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 29, 2004 - 3:49 PM:

Yulia wrote:
Society not merely influences on individual, society creates individuals (see Crossley 'Intersubjectivity' he elaborates this point in the detais). There is not individuality separated form society. Even the apiration to individuality as distinctivness derived from social existance. Would you want to be a different if evry body are different? You want to be different coz you think everybody else are very similar. It seems to me like black and white. its also a very old phylosophycal dispute what is first society or individual?

About experiment its very easy just look on what man and women wearing and the way they siting, im sure you will find some difference and then ask them why girls sit they way they sit,wear what they wear.... and so on

I did some studies when I was 15, and what I wrote then I still think holds true.

Is someone who lives for them self a selfish person?

When I first imposed this question on myself I deemed it necessary to first decide whether I myself live for myself or am I a slave to humanity. This question led me to many places, where at first I thought obviously I live for myself but then began to realise there are different ways in which the mind operates. There is also the small matter of how far a person goes to live for them self and how it affects family and friends. For example is someone living for them self if they put themselves out for a friend just because they owed them a favour?

I realised that with friends my mind operates and thinks a lot differently to when I am on my own thinking. This may seem obvious when said but it does hold much deeper meaning than just the way you act around friends, family and piers alike. To make this easier I named this type of thinking the social context, this merely means how you think around friends, and I named the way you think normally the sporadic context.

The social context, is just how you think, if a tol, when in a social surrounding. When with friends etc I noticed I change, I become louder, quicker and I begin to stop thinking about what I would rather do and what I should do. The sporadic context is quieter, slower and more self-controlled. I don’t know if this is the same for everyone, I do not even know if everyone actually has a sporadic context but most people would have a social context.

I never finished the study because of various reasons, but the sporadic context is basically how you think on your own. It is irregular thought because you think more abstractly.

Anyway, the point is that society only influences us in the society we choose to take part in. This affects different people differently. This means that society only affects us in our social context, but in our sporadic context we are different and dare I say, rational.
PsiPhi

Total Topics: 13
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 30, 2004 - 9:02 AM:

Probably the easiest way to get people to realise the impact of society on their nature is to ask whether they think everyone really was sexist, racist etc 50 odd years ago. Then ask whether they think they would also have been sexist or racist, and if not why not - if everyone else was racist, or compliant with more overt racism, because of society why would they not be also etc

This approach seems to be an easy and accesible way to make people open to the idea of environmental and cultural influence.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.