censored
fr**dom

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 10
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 4, 2008 - 9:45 PM:
Subject: How Guilt affects our Actions
I believe it was Socrates who said something like 'The good man need not fear life or death.' Socrates main idea was that one who does good should not fear life because they have no guilt and can have a free concious and live their life without fear of reparation or revenge from others. They need not either fear death because if A) There is an afterlife they will go to the best place due to their good actions OR B) There is no afterlife only a hole in the ground, then thats the end. smiling face

I guess what I'm trying to get at is the idea that some who seem to have a work-a-holic type attitude may carry guilt. I have grown up around people with that attitude and sometimes I find myself isolated in my work ethic/morals. Also I see said people who compulsivley need something to do conduct 'sins' of our souls. Excessive drinking, overeating.... Do these people need something to do because they fear reflection on themselves? They fear to look into the guilt and would rather bury their bad, shameful deeds with production and accomplishments to make themselves feel good and pure?

Now I'm not saying we should sit around and scratch our arses, far from it civilzation has come through hard work and many a can of elbow grease. But shouldn't you be able to sit in thought free of worry of your concious or guilt? This is one of the most precious things for each and every reasonable animal, in my opinion.

Thoughts anyone?
hyena in petticoat
Cheeky Possum

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 60
Total Posts: 959

Last Blog: Stinginess, you say?

#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 4, 2008 - 11:20 PM:

censored wrote:
People who have a workaholic type of attitude may carry guilt.

Maybe/ Could be.
censored wrote:
People who compulsivley need something to do conduct 'sins' of our souls. Excessive drinking, overeating...

Maybe/ Could be.
censored wrote:
Do these people need something to do because they fear reflection on themselves? They fear to look into the guilt and would rather bury their bad, shameful deeds with production and accomplishments to make themselves feel good and pure?

Maybe/ Could be.

censored wrote:
But shouldn't you be able to sit in thought free of worry of your concious or guilt?

Well, sure.

Guilt could affect our actions. Our actions reflecting how we address these guilt feelings vary: Some could be productive, some otherwise, some are in attempt to alleviate the negative thoughts and emotions brought about by guilt and some to hide them. I guess what matters is to be able to respond to guilt in a way leading us towards being better persons that we are and learning whatever could be learned from the supposed bad actions that brought about these guilt feelings.

Our actions towards these guilt feelings maybe the same but with different intentions. If one becomes productive, because as you say, they want to make themselves feel good and pure, so be it. Guilt is a personal feeling anyway. But of course, it'd help much if they become productive because they made these guilt feelings tools into becoming better persons and hence, productive.

wuliheron
Resident

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 49
Total Posts: 466
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 10, 2008 - 4:53 AM:

Holland is famous for its workaholic Calvinist protestant ethic and a high suicide rate, usually involving nasty notes that blame their bosses. When Japan went through a recession they had a huge jump in suicides. Young males who could not find work would just walk off into the woods and kill themselves.

Guilt is a terrible thing to waste!?
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.