How do atheists explain the existence of the spiritual world?

2b/x2b

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 4
#1 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 4 people found this post helpful
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 4:19 AM:
Subject: How do atheists explain the existence of the spiritual world?
By the spiritual world, I mean the world of ghosts and spirits.

As an agnostic, I haven't found a satisfying answer to this question as of yet.

Secondly, assuming God does not exist, how do you explain the presence of the spiritual world?

If the presence of the spiritual world proves that there is an afterlife, would it be possible to have an afterlife without the existence of God?
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:10 AM, 180 Proof responded: "The spiritual world" exists?! shocked How is this known (i.e. publicly corroborated) to be the case?
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:50 PM, ying responded: I've seen a ghost once. In the mirror, after a long night of partying. True story.
mayor of simpleton
Chairman of the BORED!

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 118
Total Posts: 4298
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 4:50 AM:

2b/x2b wrote:
By the spiritual world, I mean the world of ghosts and spirits.

Thanks for the clarity of what you are speaking of here. I would more than likely term this "paranormal", but if you wish to call it "spiritual" I suppose that is fine too.

2b/x2b wrote:

As an agnostic, I haven't found a satisfying answer to this question as of yet.

I have a question for you. Why do you wish to have answers to your quirry exclusively from atheists? If you are indeed an agnostic, would it be prudent to have the answers from both sides?

2b/x2b wrote:

Secondly, assuming God does not exist, how do you explain the presence of the spiritual world?

I'm have a bit of trouble here. Are you suggesting that an atheist, that is in context of a god/deity existing, must be an atheist in terms of nullifiying the possibility of the spiitual (aka paranormal) to exist?

There seems to be an assumption of causal link here that you have impied. Why would the answering of a single question (does a god - or gods - exist) have to do with another completely different issue (does the paranormal exist?)

2b/x2b wrote:

If the presence of the spiritual world proves that there is an afterlife, would it be possible to have an afterlife without the existence of God?

Well... I'm not the one to ask here. I am indeed and atheist, but not one like you suggest in the question prior to this one. I do not assume that a (theistic) god/deity does not exist, rather... I know that such a (theistic) god/deity does not exist. My reasoning for this is a bit long and drawn out, but long story put short... god is basically a placebo that can take on the "form" of a proxy of ego that grants ultimate and absolute purposes, intentions, morals, ethics, intentions, agandas and other various anthropomorphic/clandestine value attributions one wish to have justified for all spacetime... anyway...

Ghosts and spirits are generally explained away by pointing out the lack of understanding on has for a given situation, the fallacies employed in premises in the arguments to support such things as being true, as well as a whole host of psychological jibber jabber that one can put forth here to invalidate such assumption, but I would really need to address such things case by case... again anyway...

I'm an atheist for both the concept of existing theistic gods/deities and for the idea that a spiritual (paranormal) world exists. I fear that one field of nonsense does nothing to justify another field of nonsense. I don't mean to say this as an insult, but I find it very difficult to take this question too seriously.

Maybe someone else can do better here...

Meow!

GREG
Flannel Jesus
crab meat

Total Topics: 19
Total Posts: 710
#3 - Quote - Permalink
3 of 3 people found this post helpful
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 6:43 AM:

One has to demonstrate the existence of ghosts before it makes sense to ask for an explanation for them.
After all, I don't see you asking for an explanation for the existence of the tooth fairy...
Zeck
Resident

Usergroup: Deactivated By Request

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 102
#4 - Quote - Permalink
0 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 6:43 AM:

Maybe if we put it like this: how do atheists explain the development of an ability to think by what we define as matter? How do they explain intelligence, at which point did it enter the chain of events.

But it needs sanctioning by the OP, not going to hijack the thread if the topic was something else.
2b/x2b

Total Posts: 4
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 8:30 AM:

Found my answer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-kIsQd26M

nod
NietzschesSexyStache
Skeptic

Total Topics: 15
Total Posts: 271
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 10:49 AM:

Uhhh....I think the answer is obvious. We don't explain it. We deny it! Most of us any way.
BrandonUSAF

Total Posts: 18
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 11:24 AM:

Although i'm in no way an atheist, I believe that this topic is not restricted too atheists only.
I believe all of the theories proposing a "God" and the "paranormal" are all in the same bracket if I must.
Both are just theories in which religion today is practiced and believed by the use of "faith", therefore no hard evidence is needed too prove either instances of God or the paranormal. My question is why did you come to the immediate conclusion that there was a spiritual world?
If you use instances like paranormal investigations and proof such as EVP or Orbs, wouldn't that open up a door too the absolute possibility of there being a God due too miracles that happen everyday?
Just wondering.
MrSkeptic
Forum Veteran

Total Topics: 83
Total Posts: 943
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 12:09 PM:

The majority of people who believe in ghosts and spirits do so because someone they know told them a story about ghosts or spirits. Most people have not actually seen a ghost or spirit themselves. Nonetheless, some proclaim they have, but the number is small. Skeptics, whether they be theists or atheists, believe reports about ghosts and spirits are not based upon genuine experience, but, instead, are a result of cognitive or perceptual error.

Edited by MrSkeptic on Jan 10, 2013 - 6:10 PM
SIR2U
The Wonderor of Why

Total Topics: 34
Total Posts: 2426
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 7:29 PM:

What makes you think that we even try?
fishfry
Resident

Total Topics: 6
Total Posts: 441
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 8:58 PM:

2b/x2b wrote:

Hallucinations, delusions, wishful thinking. Ever notice that space aliens always abduct illiterate rednecks from Kentucky? Never physics professors. Why do you think that is?
Download thread as
  • 20/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Jan 11, 2013 - 9:49 AM, Mars Man replied internally to Yahadreas's Shit happens? ....
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:50 PM, ying replied internally to 2b/x2b's By the spiritual wor....
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:10 AM, 180 Proof replied internally to 2b/x2b's By the spiritual wor....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.