How do atheists explain the existence of the spiritual world?

How do atheists explain the existence of the spiritual world?
Mars Man
PF Addict

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 63
Total Posts: 1390
#11 - Quote - Permalink
0 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Jan 11, 2013 - 3:44 AM:

2b/x2b wrote:
By the spiritual world, I mean the world of ghosts and spirits.

As an agnostic, I haven't found a satisfying answer to this question as of yet.

Secondly, assuming God does not exist, how do you explain the presence of the spiritual world?

If the presence of the spiritual world proves that there is an afterlife, would it be possible to have an afterlife without the existence of God?

I think this evidences a little bit of confusion. I see some good replies and thoughts above. I am going to take a very, VERY different line here. I am playing on the use of the English word 'spirit (which of course comes from the Latin, but...)

Well, I happened to have gone into a store, and walking around a bit, noticed an area which had a big sign-of-a-thing on the wall. It read 'Spirits Wines Beers. I then prodeded to buy me a bottle of spirits. Now I guess that if we have 'a spirit,' we can form that into 'spiritual.'

Now on the way home after work one day, I stopped by a cozy-looking little joint, and dropped in. It seemed to be a very spiritual place. Most all there were high on spirits. Some we even being driven by them. Well I have no reason to think that the old Santa Claus-like 'ghost' thing is of any truth value at all, but do understand now that there is a spiritual world--well in some places in the world, I guess. (I had grown up in a dry county in northern Alabama.)

Now God, just like all gods, of course exist in the brain structures of those who have any content at all about that matter (even if it is just that word, or those words), but I am not so sure how much relationship will be found with spirits. When I have the spirits working inside of my mind, I have a tendency to want to play the guitar, throw darts, notice the feminine phsyique more intensely, or sleep.

I bet that the spiritual world then, really has nothing to do with any god at all, actually. I bet even further, that other than the spiritual world I will probably not be able to visit until I get some more work done first, there is no other in any way, or means, or terms.

My suggestion then, is to throw it all to the wind, and let the spirit move you! (Wild Turkey 101 will move you every time !)
Yahadreas
YHDRS

Total Topics: 219
Total Posts: 9790
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 11, 2013 - 8:02 AM:

2b/x2b wrote:
Secondly, assuming God does not exist, how do you explain the presence of the spiritual world?

Shit happens?

Or more seriously; perhaps the spiritual word is a side-effect of the real world. Or perhaps an evil demon built it. Or perhaps we just deny the spiritual world?

... would it be possible to have an afterlife without the existence of God?

Would it be possible to have a God without the existence of Supergod?

Throwing a deity into the explanation merely shifts the question of origin from one (simpler) thing to another (more complex) thing. Do not multiple entities unnecessarily. By whatever mechanism you propose God came into being (self-caused, eternal, etc.) I'm going to use that as the explanation for the spiritual world, the afterlife, and the Easter Bunny.

Mars Man wrote:
I think this evidences a little bit of confusion. I see some good replies and thoughts above. I am going to take a very, VERY different line here. I am playing on the use of the English word 'spirit (which of course comes from the Latin, but...)

Well, I happened to have gone into a store, and walking around a bit, noticed an area which had a big sign-of-a-thing on the wall. It read 'Spirits Wines Beers. I then prodeded to buy me a bottle of spirits. Now I guess that if we have 'a spirit,' we can form that into 'spiritual.'

Now on the way home after work one day, I stopped by a cozy-looking little joint, and dropped in. It seemed to be a very spiritual place. Most all there were high on spirits. Some we even being driven by them. Well I have no reason to think that the old Santa Claus-like 'ghost' thing is of any truth value at all, but do understand now that there is a spiritual world--well in some places in the world, I guess. (I had grown up in a dry county in northern Alabama.)

Now God, just like all gods, of course exist in the brain structures of those who have any content at all about that matter (even if it is just that word, or those words), but I am not so sure how much relationship will be found with spirits. When I have the spirits working inside of my mind, I have a tendency to want to play the guitar, throw darts, notice the feminine phsyique more intensely, or sleep.

I bet that the spiritual world then, really has nothing to do with any god at all, actually. I bet even further, that other than the spiritual world I will probably not be able to visit until I get some more work done first, there is no other in any way, or means, or terms.

My suggestion then, is to throw it all to the wind, and let the spirit move you! (Wild Turkey 101 will move you every time !)

Wait, wait, wait. You telling me that Heaven is a pub?! An eternal piss-up?! I'd better start going to church!
On Jan 11, 2013 - 9:49 AM, Mars Man responded: Yes, but that Heaven is here on Earth, as what's her name sings. The church is where the spirits be.
Nihilistic Locomotive
Borgesian Eliza Clone

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 252
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 11, 2013 - 7:14 PM:

Let me sift semantically through my handful of crappy metaphors .

The abject boredom of what is generally agreed to be true (the nonexistence of spirits) is plausibly caused by a spirit (an abjectly boring use of the word).

Of course now I've touched upon general language problems (i.e. confusion of what is meant).

We've just to dig into random features of a spirit:

External to a material plain, but projected onto a material plain
Akin to ideas, abstractions, the transformation of thing rather than the thing, i.e. a process over its medium (conscious mind over its body).
Memories and projections of mind of a past, present or future.
Inexplicable events.
The push and pull of instinct (thus the blisses and terrors of good and evil)
A cause of fate or fortune, the determined or achieved, in the way we'd like to believe we're determined by a spirit of reason, or caught in tension between superior and inferior dives.
The arbitrary or superfluous movements of existence over necessary movements.

You can unload the whole world into spirit but then lose the critical nobility of intellectually differentiating truth from untruth (the spirit of reason over the spirits of awe).

It would be stimulating to find the world full of spirits, which could be nothing more than the razzle dazzle of superfluous forms without function, truths without significance. May they coincide with what they are not in a way that makes life a little less boring.

Download thread as
  • 20/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Jan 11, 2013 - 9:49 AM, Mars Man replied internally to Yahadreas's Shit happens? ....
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:50 PM, ying replied internally to 2b/x2b's By the spiritual wor....
On Jan 10, 2013 - 5:10 AM, 180 Proof replied internally to 2b/x2b's By the spiritual wor....

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.