Desidude666
PF Addict

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 1212
#61 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 9, 2010 - 1:02 AM:

sheps wrote:

But isn't this just establishing public equality in line with the limited power of the law to prevent female discrimination? Will having a strong and just legal system really mean that women will be equal and free to pursue goals in all spheres of life? I'm sure that none of us here would like to see a legal system which dogmatically preached that women can never be housewives, for example, as this would be top-down state interference which would reject freedom and ultimately fail, as in the case of the Soviet Union conception of 'the Party is always right.' I don't think that you can have a legal system which completely enables freedom of choice - legal systems are, after all, but the projections of the prejudices of the majority of society onto codified law. Laws are limited in how free they can make us; if you adhere completely to their supremacy above all else and thus the importance of a social contract, you get into Rousseau 'forcing people to be free.'

The public legal system is for all, men and women. It is supposed to be ubiquitous and all covering, if you trust the public legal system, you have no need for such ideologies. Let's just say that most, if not all, women I know have no other aspirations than to breed and perform the tasks of a homemaker. Given the choice, I concur that 9 out of 10, yes it's that high of a number, women would choose life as a homemaker and not a breadwinner if odds of getting a job and sustaining it through equal level of competition between genders is introduced. Do away with the old minority card here.

This sounds bigoted I accept, but let's really accept the situation out there - that women would prefer to be homemakers than professionals. Not looking at that 1/10 percentage of women who choose professional endeavours, others are just indoctrinated and probably are biologically built for such tasks as a result. In fact, I bet even for those 10% of professionals, we would have cases where they rose to their positions due to being a form of minority in an organization. I am not saying that they aren't talented, all I am saying is that they just tend to get that added push to the top.

What does that say to us? Well, no I am not bigoted. In fact, I am all for emancipation - but my question is emancipation from what? Isn't this a role that has been accepted by women? Before we go out there, especially in Asia, and attempt to free women from their burden of nurturing, we should ask them ***all*** if they really need to be 'free'... it's like the French and their Burqua ban - their law that doesn't even considering asking the muslim women if they really need to be free? Aren't we ignoring all other cultural values by focussing on Western values solely?

But then, I think a good legal system, education in the population over the similarities of men and women and how there isn't any major biological differences should assist in recognizing any past ill-treatment women might have had to put up with. I am all for equal treatment but not reverse discrimination. I have never insulted any woman so I don't see why I should put up with possible deeds of other men?! I don't at all consider such movements seriously because women have accepted this role themselves, it's a biological process of our evolution. Just because we don't hunt anymore doesn't mean food just drops from the sky, and I am all for the fact that men can't be good 'mothers' (nurturers) - a role I deem to be more critical than one of a bread-winner.

Let's be realistic here.
mDarkPoet
Initiate

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 9
Total Posts: 24
#62 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 15, 2010 - 2:59 AM:

Thank you for posting this post. In my opinion society has come a long way, I recently acquired a book on the early 1900s for a Steampunk documentary I'm doing for my college class and in that book the first chapter explains how, back then, it was a male-dominated world. I really believe we've come a long way but I still think that more men need to be respectful towards women. What I'm seeing is a reverse effect in some cases where men will think it's "cooler" to not behave like a gentlemen in order to impress their fellow men. It is quite sad.
SittinWSocratesTiff
Banno's Chew Toy

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 147
Total Posts: 10115
#63 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Feb 16, 2010 - 1:59 PM:

mDarkPoet wrote: What I'm seeing is a reverse effect in some cases where men will think it's "cooler" to not behave like a gentlemen in order to impress their fellow men. It is quite sad.

I think you are spot on in what you are seeing.
Download thread as
  • 100/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.