Does uniqueness really exist? Or does instinct affect decisions?

Does uniqueness really exist? Or does instinct affect decisions?
Tobyn

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 2
#1 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Nov 26, 2008 - 5:46 PM:
Subject: does uniqueness really exsist? or do instincts effect decisions.
I believe no one is unique to start with, we are all born with basic instincts to eat, sleep, breathe and breed. You could compare us to mass produced personal computers sold in shops across the world. grin

We develop our personalities depending on the people around us. If you're around humorous people, you will grow to become a humorous person. If you're around violent people, you will become a violent person. Other people's actions affect your own, as you feel that being humorous or violent is something that is right or normal.

I think humans have an instinct unlike most of the earth's inhabitants, it is not free will, it is the instinct to copy feats performed by talented or successful beings to better the lives or ourselves. If this isn't true, then why do people follow the media? They follow the media because they don't want to fall from the crowd. In my opinion, uniqueness is overcome by one's instinct to socially survive.

I think the only unique people in life are the ones that work hard for what they earn and don't complain about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
I am not academic, my words may have been incorrectly used and grammar may be bad.
Please read and comment rather than correct or delete.
I would just like to know other people's opinions on this topic.
smiling face

Edited by hyena in petticoat on Nov 26, 2008 - 9:00 PM. Reason: Illiteracy.
makerowner
Resident

Total Topics: 12
Total Posts: 326
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 26, 2008 - 6:35 PM:

If we're all the same, where do those humourous or violent people come from?
hyena in petticoat
Cheeky Possum

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 60
Total Posts: 959

Last Blog: Stinginess, you say?

#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 26, 2008 - 9:17 PM:

Tobyn wrote:
I believe no one is unique to start with...

Tobyn wrote:
I think the only unique people in life...

confused

I think you have oversimplified the way our personalities are formed. True, we are influenced largely by the people we interact with and the things we "imitate" are the things we think is best for ourselves. But...

I think humans have an instinct unlike most of the earth's inhabitants, it is not free will, it is the instinct to copy feats performed by talented or successful beings to better the lives or ourselves.

...I'm having a slightly difficult time why "imitating" is more of an instinct, than a product of "rationalizing".

If this isn't true, then why do people follow the media? They follow the media because they don't want to fall from the crowd.

I think they follow the media because it seems to them that what the media is promoting is what works for most people and it's "working for most people" makes it appear effective and hence worth adhering to. Otherwise, it would be too risky,

In my opinion, uniqueness is overcome by one's instinct to socially survive.

Could be, but it doesn't necessarily have to be about plain instinct.

I think the only unique people in life are the ones that work hard for what they earn and don't complain about it.

Why exactly does this make them unique?
Kwalish Kid
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 56
Total Posts: 1162
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 26, 2008 - 10:25 PM:

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile."
Jokelamaniac
Initiate

Total Posts: 39
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2008 - 8:44 AM:

It seem clear that everything has its reason - and that concludes also to man. There are genes, derived from parents and so on - an social influences, derived from parents and other people around. But I think that the mixture can get quite original. Let's say some Descartes can't be reduced to genes he got or to environmental influences he was expoced to.

And, if we aren't so unique, so what - maybe it's only some kind of childish dream only. To grow up is also to grow up to man, to accept one's nature as a reflection of general human nature.
InSearchOfMe

Total Posts: 6
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2008 - 10:50 AM:

I like your comparison of humans to mass-produced computers. In a sense, I totally agree. I suppose you could say that the human brain is like a
"meat-computer". I think it would be fair to say that all human animals are born with the same basic Operating System which is encoded in their genetic programing. We are all hardwired for certain proclivities and behaviours. However; the specific expression of those proclivities and behaviors are person-specific. For example, as a species we seem to be hardwired to develop language. However, there are a multitude of languages that have been developed by the species, which has the same "meat-computer" design, with a common Operating System. Also, on an individual level, I think there is enough variability and experience-dependant traits that develop for each individual to be a unique expression of the mass-produced human operating system.
I agree that we are like computers in a way and share a huge amount of "factory installed" software. The way that software is expressed by the individual computer however is dependent not only on the specific genetic makeup (the basic operating system has some variability)but also on the experiences of that individual. We can learn from experience and even though we have basic personality proclivities and predispositions the built-in variability of the computer can change the basic line of development of the computer's adaptive software based on those different experiences. The computer not only depends on internal code/programming but it takes experience and incorporates that experience into code/programming which is utilized in writing future code. So, even though we have a basic programming foundation that is shared, the role played by personal experience allows for uniqueness in personality. So, in answer of your question, I think that both uniqueness and instinct play a major role in how the human computer functions. They are equally important to being human. I hope that makes enough sense to at least get my point. I hope I didn't mutilate your comparison.
Peace.
cait.j.medel

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 4
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2008 - 3:53 PM:
Subject: an horribly thought out conclusion?
Somebody J know posted out a blog on uniqueness. WELL!!! Didnt i have a very different view.

I will first write his blog, then follow it with my own response.

Conversation and opinions all welcome.

BLOG: [Is anyone actually unique? Or is there a million other people just like ourselves?
How can a person be one of a kind when there are roughly 6,602,224,175 other people out there?
I started thinking about this while observing people on the train traveling to work, men with short hair and suits with ties.
Women with waist high skirts and blouses, hair tied in a bun.
I'm sure these people are interesting in their own way, but how many of these men enjoy golf, beer, fishing, work in an office 9 to 5?
Same with the women who, enjoy drinks with the girls, like finding a bargain, read inspirational or romantic novels?
That's not to say people who don't do these things are unique, just different than these people, but the same as a million more.
How do we define ourselves as a person?]

MY RESPONSE: [People can only make do with what they have in the physical world.

Uniqueness cannot be defined purely on the external for this exact reason.

It is virtually and physically impossible for a person to be unique in this sense because we are very restricted by what only exists.

Thats why the mind is so fantastic. Ultimately we are restricted, but there are so many possible thought combinations (kind of like a number code) that it would take us almost an infinite amount of time to experience them all. And as we are exposed to more it just multiplies the amount of possibilities.

My point here is that uniqueness is determined by the internal workings not the external displays.

People can come up with original ideas, but they are usually a unique combination of already existing ones.
(make-do)

Uniqueness has not to do with just attributes, interests, style or possesions etc, it has to do with the mentality that lead you to choose those specific things and it is about how you utilise them and how it affects you from there onwards.

E.g Alfred may enjoy golf for the competitiveness. This helps motivate him and better his coping strategies in other areas of his life. He finds the social and civil aspect keeps him grounded and likes the satisfaction of doing better each time.

John may play golf because his friends forced him to start, for him its all about giving something new a go. He realises learning something new stimulates him and encourages him to do, try and persue more things. Bettering his work life, relationships and own personal view of himself.

These two people have grown to love golf for different reasons.
Its more complex then this and you can apply this to almost everysingle thing in the existing world that people turn an eye to.

Its all abut personal experiences, and combinations.

Two people may stand next to eachother on the street, and look at the same part of the sky. However, their experiences are very different. its impossible for them to be 100% EXACTLY the same.
E.g one person may be standing on a rock, one person may have sensitive eyes, one person may see the cloud as a different image, one person may be protected from the breeze by the other and one person may have a bird shit on their head.

This changes their experience and thought patterns to go off on completely different tangents.

Apply this to every single miniscule situation and you will understand mathmatically that every little thing in its self is different, even if just by one strand of hair.

This is uniqueness.

The world is unique externally as a result of what goes on internally.

Perhaps we can define being unique as just being yourself, doing what comes naturally to you.
Then again, I probably have no idea what I am talking about.
mindispower

Total Topics: 1
Total Posts: 0
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2008 - 5:31 PM:
Subject: Unique instincts
To me there is a simple answer. We are, each one of us, unique. We, each one of us, have instincts. Similaraties exist, but exceptions are what make each individual unique. Sans uniqueness, there would be no point to have but one individual on this little planet on ours. Sans uniqueness...well, we could go on forever when it comes to reasons. Long live uniqueness and instinct.nod
larryn
Initiate

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 96
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 29, 2008 - 3:37 PM:

Tobyn wrote:

We develop our personalities depending on the people around us. If you're around humorous people, you will grow to become a humorous person. If you're around violent people, you will become a violent person. Other people's actions affect your own, as you feel that being humorous or violent is something that is right or normal.
This is assuming the blank slate theory. However, there are many instances where a person does not develop the personality traits of the people they are around.

Tobyn wrote:

I think humans have an instinct unlike most of the earth's inhabitants, it is not free will, it is the instinct to copy feats performed by talented or successful beings to better the lives or ourselves. If this isn't true, then why do people follow the media? They follow the media because they don't want to fall from the crowd. In my opinion, uniqueness is overcome by one's instinct to socially survive.
There are many other animals that exhibit social behavior...most do, in fact. I also don't think that imitation is any kind of unique feature for humans.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.