PF Addict

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 48
Total Posts: 1860
#1 - Quote - Permalink
3 of 4 people found this post helpful
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 6:38 AM:
Subject: Currently Reading
After doing a search and seeing no thread on what everyone is 'currently reading' I figured I'd give it a go. (Since we have a what are you currently listening to; why not one for reading).

This can be anything from books, to philosophy, to magazines, to eBooks, to blogs, etc. (Hell; you can even do the standard forum joke of "this thread silly").

I'll start us off:

I'm currently reading two books:

* Organic Gardening - The Natural No-Dig Way [Charles Dowding] [223 pages]
* Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (an Inquiry into Values) [Robert M. Pirsig] [555 pages]

So I ask you - what are you currently reading?

xzJoel
Ennui Elucidator

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 73
Total Posts: 309
#2 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 7:28 AM:

Depends on what the meaning of "are" is.

Actually reading:

"Gulliver's Travels" by Johnathan Swift. Here

"The Enlightenment" by Norman Hampson. Here

Bathroom reading:

"Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory" by Peter Barry Here

Bedtime reading when wife is not around:

"The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1,001 Nights: Volume 1" by Anonymous. Here

Infrequently, but carry often:

"The Myth of Sysphus" by Albert Camus. Here

Next to bed, but don't understand:

"What Is Mathematics? An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods" by Richard Courant. Here

Stopped reading but meant to finish:

"The Masnavi, Book One" by Jalal Al-Din Rumi Here

And the Graham Priest books that I never get around to reading but have started:

"The Law of Non-Contradiction" Here

"An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic: From If to Is" Here

Edited by xzJoel on Oct 12, 2010 - 9:02 AM
Rypcord
PF Addict

#3 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 7:37 AM:

Quite the impressive list Joel.

I can only really manage reading two books at a time - generally one non-fiction/philosophical and one fictional; or if both of the same type (fiction/fiction or nf/nf) I try to gave the genres completely spaced out (science fiction/literature; philosophy/gardening) so my brain doesn't freeze up and die.

I'm also a bit OCD in that if I start anything; a book; a movie; a show - I have to finish reading/watching it. It literally took me 8 months to read Robinson Crusoe - I'd read 2-4 pages every like 8 days; I just dragged my feet on it; couldn't stand the book. But I *HAD* to finish it.
xzJoel
Ennui Elucidator

#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 7:43 AM:

Don't be too impressed. Anyone can buy books with fancy titles and then not read them. That isn't to say that I won't finish these books (there are some I definitely will), but some of them have been being read for almost a year (or years in the case of one book).

I just shared the list in case someone wanted to read something with me.

Rypcord
PF Addict

#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 7:47 AM:

I try to challenge myself in reading; for the past couple of years its been a 50BookChallenge; this year its a 60BookChallenge. The goal is to get 60 books read in a year. (60 books - 15,000 pages). And this is my attempt to actually force myself to read the books. I have 3 pages of a .txt doc printed out of my -to-buy- list; and a back page of one of them is my entire to-read list of what I own. Sadly I tend to buy more books than I read it feels like.
smerdyakov
Initiate

Total Topics: 5
Total Posts: 76
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 7:58 AM:

xzJoel wrote:
Bathroom reading:

"Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory" by Peter Barry

Remind me never to borrow your books. smiling face

My diet's about the same as Rypcord's: generally two books -- one fiction, one non-fiction.

Right now I'm reading Flannery O'Connor's The Violent Bear It Away and a handful of essays by Wallace Stevens.

Edited by smerdyakov on Oct 12, 2010 - 10:18 AM
Rypcord
PF Addict

#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 8:03 AM:

I have a novel of Flannery's on my to-read list; and I've heard nothing but good things about the works. I might have to bump the book up in my reading rotation.

What do you think of it?
xzJoel
Ennui Elucidator

#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 8:11 AM:

I recently finished "Wise Blood". (One of her short novels. Here.)

I enjoyed it for the most part, but can't say I loved it. I think that if I had known some of the historical/religious context better, I would have enjoyed the book more, but there is some pleasant absurdity to it that survives despite someone not being familiar with the bigger issues.

Also, I read it aloud and found some of the phrasing somewhat awkward. I don't know that the language made the book hard to read, but it certainly had some dialect going on.

Edited by xzJoel on Oct 12, 2010 - 9:03 AM
jamalrob
PF Addict

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 45
Total Posts: 3564
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 8:45 AM:

I'm using Roger Scruton's Modern Philosophy as a framework, and reading the recommended papers and books as I go along, then writing essays on them. I see it as a kind of DIY degree. I can highly recommend Scruton's book for anyone who wants to study philosophy seriously but who isn't necessarily studying it in a formal setting - there aren't many books that fall into this niche.

Right now he's got me reading these:

Barry Stroud, The Significance of Philosophical Scepticism
Crispin Wright, "Imploding the Demon" from Mind
PF Strawson, Skepticism and Naturalism
Wittgenstein, On Certainty

And I'm attempting to keep several others going, with varying degrees of success:

Cervantes, Don Quixote (Rutherford translation)
Alva Noe, Out of Our Heads
Harry Partch, Genesis of a Music
Euclid, Elements I
William Russo, Composing Music
Johann Joseph Fux, The Study of Counterpoint
Logic, Wilfrid Hodges
Russell, Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy
Helen Armstrong, Graphic Design Theory

I think I may be spreading myself too thin.
photographer
φύσις κρύπτεσθαι φιλεῖ

Total Topics: 67
Total Posts: 3468
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 8:52 AM:
Subject: Zizek's "The Parallax View"...
second reading, Heidegger's The Fundamental Problems of Phenomenology and Gillian Rose's Hegel contra Sociology.

Edited by photographer on Oct 12, 2010 - 1:08 PM
Download thread as
  • 66.6/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Aug 26, 2014 - 1:36 AM, Agustino replied internally to Maw's A Philosophy of Bore....
On Aug 25, 2014 - 8:03 PM, Maw replied internally to Maw's A Philosophy of Bore....
On Aug 17, 2014 - 1:31 PM, Agustino replied internally to Maw's A Philosophy of Bore....
On Aug 17, 2014 - 1:27 PM, Maw replied internally to Maw's A Philosophy of Bore....
On Aug 17, 2014 - 12:44 PM, Agustino replied internally to Maw's A Philosophy of Bore....
On Aug 14, 2014 - 3:00 PM, pkautz223 replied internally to Agustino's The Tyranny of Scien....
On Aug 9, 2014 - 12:26 AM, Csalisbury replied internally to 180 Proof's Seiobo There Below, ....
On Aug 6, 2014 - 3:18 AM, jamalrob replied internally to shmik's Quick question. Was ....
On Aug 6, 2014 - 2:47 AM, shmik replied internally to θωπεύονταςτοτίποτα's Which is the recent ....
On Aug 6, 2014 - 2:46 AM, shmik replied internally to shmik's Quick question. Was ....

Sorry, you don't have permission to post. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.