Total Topics: 29
Total Posts: 296
#1941 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 19, 2015 - 4:08 PM:

Just finished The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker

Currently reading:

Timeless Decision Theory by Eliezer Yudkowski

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
On May 19, 2015 - 10:05 PM, Sayso responded: And do you buy into Pinker? A bit rambling in style and scattered about his arguments, didn't you think? Figured out the metaphor metaphor yet?
SIR2U
The Wonderor of Why

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 35
Total Posts: 2577
#1942 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 19, 2015 - 9:07 PM:

St. Augustine - The Confessions Holy crap?

Next on the list

Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar - J.Heller
On May 21, 2015 - 10:13 PM, Thorongil responded: Why the holy crap?
On May 24, 2015 - 12:18 AM, SIR2U responded: Basically because it is just that. That is one long winded son of a bitch. Pardon me dear lord our god, he who knows all. And he even presumed to tell god what HE must have been thinking.
On May 24, 2015 - 9:57 AM, Thorongil responded: Hmm, well, that's your loss, then. I suspect Augustine's reputation will still survive intact, despite your negative assessment of one of the greatest works of Western civilization. wink
On May 24, 2015 - 6:00 PM, BitterCrank responded: St. Augustine has been on my should read list for decades. Candide I read, but I really like the musical and keep returning to "We'll build a house and chop our wood, we'll make our garden grow...
On May 24, 2015 - 8:12 PM, SIR2U responded: Maybe that is the problem with western civilization, we pay too much attention to people like him. One thing I found interesting was that he said all things came originally from the sea. Evolution?
SIR2U
The Wonderor of Why

Total Posts: 2577
#1943 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 24, 2015 - 12:21 AM:

Started to read Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar and in the first few lines he talks about Voltaire's Candide. I read that years ago but decided to read it again so I am putting Plato and his platypus on hold.
Maw
Archimedean nihilist

Total Posts: 1617
#1944 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 24, 2015 - 9:04 AM:

Manufacturing Consent by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky
On May 24, 2015 - 5:57 PM, BitterCrank responded: Chomsky is such a seminal thinker anyway, but MFGR CNSENT is pure gold.
BitterCrank
PF Addict

Total Topics: 196
Total Posts: 9851
#1945 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 24, 2015 - 6:43 PM:

WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:
wuthering heights

I haven't read Wuthering Heights. I am admitting this now and will face a gauntlet of face slapping English Majors. I did see the 1939 version 3 times, Directed by William Wyler. With Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, David Niven, and Flora Robson, which was very good. I haven't read Jane Eyer either, so that's another trip through the gauntlet.

I am reading the second volume of Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope which does not need any special motivation to enjoy. It's good.

I just finished The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey. It's about the 9th Duke of Rutland who lived in (and owned) Belvoir Castle and a Texas sized expanse of land in England (the intact land around the castle was 30x40 miles, and he owned more land besides.) He died in 1940. His son had the muniment rooms sealed. His grandson was amenable to Bailey's research. The 9th duke died of pneumonia in 1940, while working on some extremely urgent project. He had been working intensively on something (secret) for 4 or 5 years.

What Bailey found were meticulously sorted and catalogued collections of correspondence and documents, some of it going back to the 11th century (the Manners family had been camped there since William the Bastard's 1066 invasion). Bailey is waaaay more detail oriented than I am and discovered that there were 3 unexpected gaps from the childhood and young adult years of Robert Manners, the 9th Duke. The book is about what the Duke was hiding. Bailey is a skilled writer and an insightful researcher.

I am currently working on Servants: A Downstairs History of Britain from the Nineteenth Century to Modern Times by Lucy Lethbridge. Servants made possible the kind of lives the rich and the super rich lived in Victorian England, and on into contemporary times. Those servants were treated half-ways decently. What I wasn't aware of was that most people in Victorian and pre-WWII England employed servants, even if only one, poorly paid. The servants of the almost-poor and middle class were far worse off than the servants of the rich, since the non-rich did not have the room or the cash to support servants decently. They were, by and large, an abused class.

In England people in the lower classes hired a live-in servant at poverty wages who was expected to work pretty much continuously for 14 hours a day. And the lower classes aped the upper classes in their relationships to the servants.

In many ways, servants were an opportunity for "quality" people to exercise cruelty or (at least) absurd arbitrary and capricious rules which their employees had to follow.
StreetlightX
An Arrow, Drawn

Usergroup: Moderators

Total Topics: 55
Total Posts: 4219
#1946 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 27, 2015 - 12:14 PM:

Eugene Thacker - In The Dust Of This Planet: Horror of Philosophy, Vol. 1 (rereading)
John Mullarkey - Post-Continental Philosophy: An Outline
On May 27, 2015 - 9:24 PM, Maw responded: How's Thacker's book? Been eyeing it for a while.
On May 28, 2015 - 7:13 AM, StreetlightX responded: I enjoyed it, but it's got an air of pop-philosophy about it that I'm not sure you'd like.
On May 28, 2015 - 7:13 AM, StreetlightX responded: Wrote a review of it here: www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/memb...s&sort_by=MostRecentReview
darthbarracuda
[Insert Sagacious Phrase]

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 10
Total Posts: 50
#1947 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:22 PM:

"Myths of the Ancient Greeks" by Richard P. Martin.
Download thread as
  • 69.4/5

Recent Internal Replies
On May 28, 2015 - 7:13 AM, StreetlightX replied internally to StreetlightX's Eugene Thacker - In ....
On May 28, 2015 - 7:13 AM, StreetlightX replied internally to StreetlightX's Eugene Thacker - In ....
On May 27, 2015 - 9:24 PM, Maw replied internally to StreetlightX's Eugene Thacker - In ....
On May 24, 2015 - 8:12 PM, SIR2U replied internally to SIR2U's St. Augustine - The ....
On May 24, 2015 - 6:00 PM, BitterCrank replied internally to SIR2U's St. Augustine - The ....
On May 24, 2015 - 5:57 PM, BitterCrank replied internally to Maw's Manufacturing Consen....
On May 24, 2015 - 9:57 AM, Thorongil replied internally to SIR2U's St. Augustine - The ....
On May 24, 2015 - 12:18 AM, SIR2U replied internally to SIR2U's St. Augustine - The ....
On May 21, 2015 - 10:13 PM, Thorongil replied internally to SIR2U's St. Augustine - The ....
On May 19, 2015 - 10:05 PM, Sayso replied internally to sophonax's Just finished The St....

Sorry, you don't have permission to post. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.