trisector

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 3
Total Posts: 1
#1 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Feb 20, 2008 - 8:57 PM:
Subject: Cause AND Effect
The first axiom of triunity is that knowledge of anything requires at least three elements.

The concept of a cause as an existent with no other existents is meaningless at best. To identify an existent cause requires, at the very least, the identification of a (potentially) existent effect.

Note: I included the parenthetical modification (potentially) to avoid a
discussion of first cause(s) at this time.

The conception of both a cause and an effect is still inadequate to provide any meaningful understanding of either. What's missing is the third element of understanding: i.e., the relationship between the two.

Corollaries:
1) The conception of cause necessarily includes an implicit or explicit
understanding of a relationship, or process, that produces, or creates,
an effect. As simple as 1 2 3.

2) The conception of an effect necessarily includes an implicit or explicit understanding of a relationship, or process, it was produced by, or created by, a cause. As simple as 3 2 1.

3) The conception of a relationship, or process, necessarily includes an
implicit or explicit understanding of a cause, or stimuli, as part of the relationship, or process, that is producing or creating an effect or a response. As simple as 2 1 3 or as 2 3 1.

Also:
1) There could be no stimulus without a mechanism or process that could
produce a response.

2) There could be no response without a mechanism or process that receives some stimuli.

3) The could be no observable mechanism or process that does not have input and output.

Cor ad cor loquitor.
boagie
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 96
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 8, 2008 - 11:23 AM:

Trisector,

Excellent, I have been playing with this idea, but you have cleared a path it seems. The relation between what is considered cause and effect, as relation does that not in a sense negate the idea that one is cause and the other is effect, is not the effect determined by the qualities of the two objects, conditons or states which are brought together in this relational process. In other words, is not the effect determined by the qualities of both sides of the relation of said cause and effect? And indeed is not that which is said to be cause, through the relation of the act to effect, not itself effected. Great stuff so far, I was really pleased to come across your post.!!

Edited by boagie on Jul 8, 2008 - 11:34 AM. Reason: spellig
Jehu
Wayfarer

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 4
Total Posts: 479
#3 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 2 people found this post helpful
Posted Jul 8, 2008 - 2:27 PM:

Trisector,

It is true: a cause cannot be said to exist without that it had an associated effect, for what then would it be a cause of?

Likewise, an effect cannot be said to exist without that it has an associated cause, for what then would it be an effect of?

Therefore, it follows that the concepts of cause and effect are both interdependent and complementary, ‘interdependent’ because the one cannot exist without the other, and ‘complementary’, for the two must complete one another in coming into being of some thing (i.e., idea, object, activity, etc.); and this coming into being entails some sort of process.

Please continue.
boagie
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Posts: 96
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 23, 2008 - 8:01 AM:

Jehu wrote:
Trisector,

It is true: a cause cannot be said to exist without that it had an associated effect, for what then would it be a cause of?

Likewise, an effect cannot be said to exist without that it has an associated cause, for what then would it be an effect of?

Therefore, it follows that the concepts of cause and effect are both interdependent and complementary, ‘interdependent’ because the one cannot exist without the other, and ‘complementary’, for the two must complete one another in coming into being of some thing (i.e., idea, object, activity, etc.); and this coming into being entails some sort of process.

Please continue.

Jehu/trisector, smiling face

This is helpful, but I wish to emphasize that what is termed the effect depends upon the constitution of both objects, conditions or states, given an object of a different constitution on either end of the problem and the effect would be of a different nature, I simply do not see how one can say that this is cause and this is effect, in such cases effect is the relational reaction of the constitutions of both objects and there is more than one effect as a result of the relational reaction of two objects.

Edited by boagie on Jul 23, 2008 - 8:09 AM
Download thread as
  • 100/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.