Better blind or deaf?
Lenglain

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 23
Total Posts: 0
#1 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 12:45 AM:
Subject: Better blind or deaf?
It seems like I'm the only fool who would rather be blind than deaf.
Being deaf means

1. NO MUSIC!!
2. NO MUSIC!!
3. You can't hear conversations
4. your speech is impaired to the point where you sound like a fool

And in a batman comic, Superman asks: Would you rather be blind or deaf

Batman: Blind
Superman: WHY?!
Batman: You can't see behind you

Gramm
Olde Worlde Skeptic

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 237
Total Posts: 435
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 3:48 AM:

Apparently the last sense to go in the process of dying is hearing...

This is so in your last moments of existence you'll know what people really though of you...

Gramm...

Who plans to die with earplugs in his ears...grin
MILKman_r2
Student

Total Topics: 2
#3 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 4:35 AM:

I'd rather be deaf. I couldn't live without movies. Or paintings. Or the naked female form.
softtarget
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 59
Total Posts: 125
#4 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 10:33 AM:

Well I can't say which of those "d rather lose, but I can say that the worst sense to lose would be touch.

You'd be hurting yourself in no time.
Paul
PF Addict

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 510
Total Posts: 16239
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 2:24 PM:

With radio drama being my favorite form of entertainment I'd be somewhat prepared to enjoy being blind and would suffer from being deaf... but I couldn't stand to go blind because I have a feeling that using text readers would make it take forever to get around the internet and would limit what I could do. And since I don't talk to people much, the inconvenience of being deaf would be minimal.

On the other hand, I think I'd rather have bad (but not uncorrectable) vision and have to wear glasses than have bad (but not uncorrectable) hearing and have to wear hearing aids.
Apathy
Purveyor of Lassitude

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 3
#6 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 27, 2005 - 5:12 AM:

I'd much rather be deaf.

* Not being able to listen to music our use any telephone without a video feed would be awful, of course.

* I seriously doubt that my speech would degrade; since I wasn't born deaf, I have already mastered pronunciation - and I don't need to hear myself speak in order to speak well. Once I learned to read lips, I'd have a reasonable level of conversational functionality.

* If I were blind, I would not be able to use computers or perform most jobs that interest me. Being deaf, on the other hand, does not impact any of these things.

A blind man is far, far more helpless than a deaf man. I'd actually rather be paralyzed from the waist down, mute, and deaf rather than be blinded.
Paul
PF Addict

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 510
Total Posts: 16239
#7 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 27, 2005 - 7:42 AM:

Apathy wrote:
* Not being able to use any telephone

I hadn't considered that advantage. Maybe I'll poke out my eardrums for the pleasure of no longer being reachable to all the wrong numbers and survey takers who interupt me whenever I'm doing something important for a warm "Hello ma'am" before I hang up.
Lenglain

Total Topics: 23
#8 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 27, 2005 - 8:18 PM:

Even if you've arleady mastered pronunciation because you can hear your pronunciation. Once you go deaf yopur speech pattern gets damaged though rarely beyond comprehension.
danfaggella
loves to GRAPPLE

Total Topics: 20
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jul 28, 2005 - 8:30 AM:

though i do talk to people often (Paul what do you do for a living? how are you so solitary i'm just interested in knowing), i do think that being blind is a worse fate than being deaf. Though they both are rough, i like to see what is happening, so be able to move and funstion in my environment. Blind people can not do this very well, they need thier dogs and thier canes. While they may be able to listen to song nice music or a good conversation, i still put my vision over my hearing.
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.