no child exists to be deprived of the good things in life

Blaise St Mary
Raised by Dragons

Usergroup: Sponsors

Total Topics: 20
Total Posts: 839
#2 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 2:07 AM:

The issue centers on a interpretation of death and the afterlife. If you take death to be complete annihilation, then any memory of suffering is snuffed out with consciousness. The child may as well never have suffered in the slightest, as the least trace of its suffering is extinguished.

If you accept the possibility of an afterlife, daunting complications arise.

As an agnostic vis-a-vis any suggestion of an afterlife, you may, for the sake of symmetry, need to concede agnosticism vis-a-vis the problem of natalism.

Edited by Blaise St Mary on Mar 6, 2013 - 2:33 AM
unenlightened
How many cows? 0, 1, 2?

Usergroup: Administrators

Total Topics: 90
Total Posts: 10316
#3 - Quote - Permalink
7 of 7 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 2:20 AM:

It's not all about pleasure and suffering.
dex
Resident

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 55
Total Posts: 493
#4 - Quote - Permalink
3 of 3 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 2:29 AM:

Also, why have your own child when you could adopt one from the orphanage? Good for a kid who's already alive; good for keeping the population down; no hassle with being pregnant.
On Mar 11, 2013 - 12:53 AM, andrewk responded: What orphanage? We'd need a time machine to find one.
On Sep 9, 2013 - 12:28 PM, Veritas Vincit responded: @andrewk: For "orphanage" read "adoption agency" or "foster home". It's about adoption, which I wish more prospective parents would consider.
The Great Whatever
Unmoderated Member

Usergroup: Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 71
Total Posts: 3521
#5 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 3:37 AM:

Anti-natalism is intuitively appealing, and the world blows, but the justifications I've heard for it just don't work. It's usually founded on negative utilitarianism, which like its positive counterpart is highly suspect.
Philosofeeder
Earthling

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 6
Total Posts: 127
#6 - Quote - Permalink
2 of 4 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 6, 2013 - 12:03 PM:

Love breeds love and the old die off.
MeowMix
Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 81
Total Posts: 530
#7 - Quote - Permalink
0 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 10, 2013 - 11:30 PM:

The Great Whatever wrote:
Anti-natalism is intuitively appealing, and the world blows, but the justifications I've heard for it just don't work. It's usually founded on negative utilitarianism, which like its positive counterpart is highly suspect.

But why bother justifying it? I mean at the end of the day it is you who has to decide whether the justification is good enough or not, so why not just skip the middle man and say "having kids is bad because I say so". Probably just as likely (0%) to convince someone not to as spouting some dry boredom about asymmetry and utilitarianism. Neither is going to change a single thing.

Forced sterilization and abortions on the other hand....

On Sep 9, 2013 - 12:30 PM, Veritas Vincit responded: Wait a minute! When did this become about forced sterilization?
Benkei
PF Addict

Total Topics: 171
Total Posts: 1246
#8 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this post helpful
Posted Mar 11, 2013 - 2:38 AM:

MeowMix wrote:
But why bother justifying it?

Yes indeed. Why bother bringing this up (again) when you're not even going to make the effort to come up with a cogent argument?
On Mar 11, 2013 - 3:30 AM, baden511 responded: Agreed, let's not give birth to any more of these threads. Talk about needless suffering...
On Mar 11, 2013 - 4:12 AM, andrewk responded: I've moved it to casual, as it's not a serious attempt to discuss the topic.
MeowMix
Unmoderated Member

Total Topics: 81
Total Posts: 530
#9 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 16, 2013 - 5:41 AM:

Do you think it would be acceptable to, without their consent, infect someone with a fatal illness whose treatment provides some degree of pleasure to the patient?
Yahadreas
YHDRS

Total Topics: 215
Total Posts: 4843
#10 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 3 people found this post helpful
Posted Apr 16, 2013 - 1:43 PM:

MeowMix wrote:
child is pretty much guaranteed to experience suffering

Unless you live in abject poverty, have a debilitating illness, have at some point been tortured, or experienced genuine grief, then you have not suffered. Petty problems, small pains, and occasional bouts of depression do not qualify as reasons to not have lived.

I've been hurt. I've been sad. But I have never suffered. And I'm sure the same is true of most of us lucky enough to live in a wealthy, healthy, and relatively safe society.
Download thread as
  • 20/5

Recent Internal Replies
On Sep 9, 2013 - 12:30 PM, Veritas Vincit replied internally to MeowMix's But why bother ....
On Sep 9, 2013 - 12:28 PM, Veritas Vincit replied internally to dex's Also, why have your ....
On Mar 11, 2013 - 4:12 AM, andrewk replied internally to Benkei's Yes indeed. Why ....
On Mar 11, 2013 - 3:30 AM, baden511 replied internally to Benkei's Yes indeed. Why ....
On Mar 11, 2013 - 12:53 AM, andrewk replied internally to dex's Also, why have your ....

Sorry, you don't have permission to post. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.