Profile of ying
Guestbook: View or sign guestbook (5)
Location: Lichtenvoorde, Netherlands
Occupation: Worldview mongering
Birthdate: August 21, 1984 (32 years old)
Interests: Beyond intellectual persuits? Card magic, singing, lifting weights, computergames, drawing...
Biography: This owl of Minerva flies high. Make of that what you will.
My philosophical views can be described as follows:
Regarding matters of epistemology:
-Sceptical regarding ontological matters.
Regarding matters of ethics:
Regarding matters of the mind:
Regarding matters of the world and the body:
My views on aesthetics are self-developed and can't be categorized as such.
My philosophy on life is a form of eudaimonia, where human flourishing is defined by arete (striving for personal excellence in whatever activity one chooses to participate in), virtue (living in harmony with oneself as an organism and with ones environment as an ecosystem, contributing to it's flourishing.), ataraxia (freedom from worry), euthymia (cheerfulness, because laughter and a happy spirit are the way), freedom (the realization that man is, by his own nature, unconditioned and free, and that the chains which bind can be broken quitte easily, as shown by the ancient cynics) and happiness ("Because (he answered) I hold to the belief, sirs, that wealth and poverty do not lie in a man's estate, but in men's souls." -Antisthenes, in Xenophons "Symposium").
My favorite books are listed here: Link.
Interview for the newsletter: Link.
ying's Membership Status
Last seen: Aug 17, 2016 - 6:03 PM
Registration Date: Feb 20, 2004
Usergroup: Missing Mods
Topics Submitted: 23 topics
Total Posts: 793 (0 per day)
Replies Received: 94
Total Time Online: 73 days, 12 hours and 35 minutes
Most recent topics:
- Should I stay or should I go?
- Let's discuss some stuff from gestalt psychology!
- What is happiness?
- Hey cousin, what's up?
- Philosophy: A Guide to Happiness
Most recent posts:
- Mahayana buddhists?! Diogenes Laertius mentions "gymnosophists" and "magi", not mahayana buddhists... "And he was a pupil of Bryson, the son of Sti...
- "To find your way in the infinite, you have to learn how to connect and divide."
- Alright, why assume anything at all? The goal of scepticism is peace of mind, or ataraxia, not a state of assuming non-evident things to be true (...
- "Man, your head is haunted; you have wheels in your head! You imagine great things, and depict to yourself a whole world of gods that has an exist...
- "This suggests a word of advice to such of my hearers as may happen to be professors. I am allowed to use plain English because everybody knows that I...
Most recent shouts:
- ying [Jun 11, 2013 - 6:08 PM]: Happy b-day Wosret!
- ying [Jun 10, 2013 - 6:29 PM]: Happy b-day, Sapientia!
- ying [Jun 8, 2013 - 9:12 PM]: Indeed. Use guillotines.
- ying [Jun 1, 2013 - 1:53 PM]: I'm currently watching "1 Giant Leap: What about me?": Link. And I just realised something. I can't stand Eckhart Tolle.
- ying [Jun 1, 2013 - 1:33 PM]: Happy b-day, Maw!!