Profile of Moliere
Guestbook: View or sign guestbook (0)
Location: Republicantopia, USA
Biography: “Our well-conditioned materialistic contemporaries are liable to burst with excitement over events such as the moonshots, the double helix, nonequilibrium thermodynamics. But let us look at the matter from a different point of view, and it becomes a ridiculous exercise in futility. It needed millions of dollars, thousands of well-trained assistants, years of hard work to enable some inarticulate and rather limited contemporaries to perform a few graceless hops in a place nobody in his right mind would think of visiting – a dried out, airless, hot stone. But mystics, using only their minds, travelled across the celestial spheres to God himself whom they viewed in his splendour receiving strength for continuing their lives and enlightenment for themselves and their fellow men. It is only the illiteracy of the general public and of their stern trainers that makes them reject such comparisons without further ado. A free society does not object to such an attitude but it will not permit it to become a basic ideology either.” (P. Feyerabend, Science In A Free Society, Verso/NLB 1982, p.31).
Moliere's Membership Status
Last seen: Oct 3, 2016 - 5:16 PM
Registration Date: May 28, 2010
Topics Submitted: 80 topics
Total Posts: 3022 (1 per day)
Replies Received: 948
Total Time Online: 87 days, 10 hours and 23 minutes
Most recent topics:
- Meta-Philosophy: The Medical Analogy
- How are the quotes selected?
- Verso Book Sale
- Aristotle's Physics was basically correct
Most recent posts:
- It's entirely up to you, and it's not like after having made a decision one way or the other you couldn't rethink and try something else. ...
- I think the focus on presidential elections is a bit overpronounced, there. I already know who I'm writing in for president, but there are ple...
- I think, perhaps, you are confusing what politics can do for you or the world. One, people value depth unto itself. Even if you set up social ...
- I would add to this that children are actually very good at philosophy, too. Not only are they open, but given the opportunity to be creative and ...
- I would state that I can quasi-agree with your thesis 1, but I'm coming at it from a different angle. There is no ordinary, everyday sense in ...
Most recent shouts:
- Moliere [Jul 25, 2015 - 12:52 AM]: @Akan -- I'd be happy to see more Derrida threads
- Moliere [Jul 25, 2015 - 12:51 AM]: o yeah no worries, mcdoodle -- soon as i sell this old truck, I got you
- Moliere [Apr 24, 2013 - 12:26 AM]: If it's possible for someone to believe in nothing -- perhaps!
- Moliere [Apr 20, 2013 - 8:45 PM]: I wasn't planning on getting a smartphone until I saw Google's Calendar. If they had a to-do list w. that, I just might upgrade from paper.
- Moliere [Apr 18, 2013 - 12:07 PM]: What is?