Profile of BitterCrank
Guestbook: View or sign guestbook (7)
Birthdate: November 1, 1946 (71 years old)
Interests: Music, movies, books, food, dogs, politics, people (they're kind of required for the rest of it).
Biography: Bear type old gay guy. The fires of the heart cool as we head towards the October, November or December of our lives.
I am no longer working and I am much happier than I have been in years. I miss very little of the non-profit sector I labored in for 40 years. Now I can be the highly influential, much-sought-after intellectual I always wanted to be -- provided I think of a highly influential much-sought-after idea. Ah well, one of the tasks of old age is recognizing that some things one wanted are not going to happen and other things one didn't want are.
On many days I feel like a young man (other days, not so much) and on most days I prefer to think of myself as at least a fairly radical person.
BitterCrank's Membership Status
Last seen: Jun 21, 2016 - 10:33 PM
Registration Date: Mar 01, 2008
Topics Submitted: 192 topics
Total Posts: 10342 (3 per day)
Replies Received: 2304
Total Time Online: 94 days, 17 hours and 44 minutes
Most recent topics:
- Blast Techno Optimism
- The Crimes of the British Empire: Ready to pay reparations?
- Nagasaki and Hiroshima
- Greek bankruptcy, deadbeat, bailout, grexit, etcetrix.
- Society does not exist. Neither do institutions.
Most recent posts:
- [quote=intropersona] Bittercrank, why didn't you ever reply to the questions I proposed to you>? I'm sorry. What did you ask me? ...
- Of course people care. But... IF the method that people use to communicate is primarily electronic (texting, telephone, gaming, blogging, e-ma...
- The Durkheim piece on YT was good. After reading your cogent list of ills, I think I will kill myself now. It's just to much. I can't stand...
- Remarkable technology. My first Mac (1988) didn't come with a hard drive. It used only 800 kb floppies. I bought a big hard drive (20 meg)....
- There may not be any theoretical limit to what can be known to exist, but there are practical limits to what one person can have knowledge of. Our br...
Most recent shouts:
- BitterCrank [Apr 1, 2016 - 12:09 PM]: Burn some plastic in a dry forest. That'll surely piss off Smokey.
- BitterCrank [Apr 1, 2016 - 12:08 PM]: Maybe you shouldn't prevent forest fire. If there is rarely a forest fire, too much fuel builds up, then when it does burn, it burns too hot. (see Goldilocks -- too hot, too cold, just right)
- BitterCrank [Feb 19, 2016 - 10:56 PM]: Love love love Carmina Burana, but unfortunately I have listened to it tooooo many times.
- BitterCrank [Feb 19, 2016 - 10:55 PM]: Warm tapioca pudding.
- BitterCrank [Nov 2, 2015 - 12:22 AM]: thank you for your birthday well wishes. Happy birthday, Nagase!